ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:35 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

So, this year will be the tenth year since we got things back off the ground in this Region.

Who's coming out to play?

Gord and I still have a Subaru.
Kevin and Wayne are off buying gear as we speak.
Conrads always up for an adventure.
Cal's almost done the prep.

Who else is joining us? Lets hear about it!

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS????"

"Great, now we're gonna get frikken' yelled at....."
"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:50 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Someone should buy a Golf...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:06 am 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

The plan is to have the yellow RX ready for the first sprint and the new RX-7 to run Ledwidge. Trout Lake ? That s the plan.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:53 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Someone other than me needs to hassle Mike, Robert, and Ben :-p

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 pm 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

The Audi will be back.

1990 Audi 90 (Rally) / 1991 Audi Coupe Quattro
2007 Porsche Cayman / 2003 Porsche Cayenne / 1999 BMW 540i / 1985.5 Porsche 944 / 1972 Volvo 142
2010 Ford F150 (sold)/ 2002 Audi A4 (sold) / 2002 Subaru Impreza RS (sold)
2003 Subaru Impreza TS (sold) / 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i (sold) / 2002 Nissan Maxima (sold)
2014 Kawasaki KLR 650 / 1986 Yamaha SRX (sold) / 1982 Honda Ascot (sold)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:07 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I figured this might be the appropriate thread to ask this so here goes:

It's come to my attention the the CARS insurance rates have changed and "Sprint" insurance has increased significantly. So much so, that a "single road event" is actually much cheaper.
So now, I'm left to wonder if we should still continue to insure this June's event as a sprint...
This event will likely be unaffected by the change, as the format will stay the same as our traditional "one road" sprints. (Think Tennecape road, 2018)
Going forward, running our "sprints" under "single road" insurance would allow for a longer stage, more total stage kms, and a higher maximum average speed. The caveat to this is that a regional license would be required and vehicles would have to be built to the same spec as required for regional performance rally.

I guess what I'm asking is; does anyone have an issue obtaining a regional license and prepping a car before June? It stands to reason that we can keep entry fees lower if everyone is okay with this change.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:30 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I defiantly have issue with it. Here's why.

How else are we supposed to get new cars and drivers to take the next step without having to go directly to Regional event specs? The extra cost to acquire a licence for a team that was going to run only the sprint makes it not worth it, let alone the extra cost to prep the car to the next level...(if needed).

We already have two "big" regional events since Trout Lake changed. I see nothing wrong with having one event as a smaller, less expensive, less stressful event for the teams.

On a personal note, This will be the second time trying to get Tara behind the wheel to try a sprint. She and Kevin were going to compete in Trout lake in 2017 before that changed, and now if this changes, she wont be able to run again. It's great that your trying to make the entry fee cheaper, but by doing so, your blocking new teams/drivers from getting their feet wet and trying performance rally for the first time.

"On snow or ice or gravel, we all know that a car will not stop or steer. And yet rally cars do both of these things. That means the whole thing is sorcery, and the people who do the driving must be witches." - Jermy Clarkson.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:26 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Would the cost to enter the event increase? Is this event going to count for the overall points? Would someone who is new be able to get a CARS license for this one event?
How much of an increase is the insurance going to cost? Would we be able to absorb it into the price of entry to keep this a sprint?

Sorry, lots of questions

Bond Design

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:45 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

You can get a Single Event license once from CARS which can then be upgraded to a full regional at a discount the first year. But you can only do that once.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

One request I have is that once the decisions are made it would be really nice to get estimated entry costs as soon as possible, and for as much of the season as possible. We have to budget for our year which gets more and more complicated every year as we start considering away events. If local event fees are going to be notably higher it would be better to know that sooner rather than later so we can plan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:08 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Quote:
For first time applicants (Driver only) a resume of performance driving experience must accompany the application.

Anybody know if they are going to except Rally Cross as experience?

Bond Design

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:22 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

It always has in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Kevin Partridge wrote:
Quote:
For first time applicants (Driver only) a resume of performance driving experience must accompany the application.

11.4.1.1 DRIVER-RALLY
(a) Basic

Canadian Association of Rallysport

Valid for various specific CARS sanctioned events below regional championship performance status.
These licences may be issued by a CARS region and shall be valid for the rally activity designated (i.e.:
Rallysprint/Rallycross, navigational, etc.) Costs and terms of use (beyond those listed above) shall be
the responsibility of the CARS region.

(b) Regional:
Valid for any level of CARS sanctioned event below national status within Canada. To be eligible to
obtain a Regional licence, the applicant must first have participated in two (2) events, in any combination,
from the list below:
● Rally Sprint
● Rally Cross
● Rally School
● TDS Rally
A regional licence may also be issued at the discretion of the CARS Regional Director.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:48 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

snmuise wrote:
Kevin Partridge wrote:
Quote:

11.4.1.1 DRIVER-RALLY
(a) Basic

Canadian Association of Rallysport

Valid for various specific CARS sanctioned events below regional championship performance status.
These licences may be issued by a CARS region and shall be valid for the rally activity designated (i.e.:
Rallysprint/Rallycross, navigational, etc.) Costs and terms of use (beyond those listed above) shall be
the responsibility of the CARS region.

(b) Regional:
Valid for any level of CARS sanctioned event below national status within Canada. To be eligible to
obtain a Regional licence, the applicant must first have participated in two (2) events, in any combination,
from the list below:
● Rally Sprint
● Rally Cross
● Rally School
● TDS Rally
A regional licence may also be issued at the discretion of the CARS Regional Director.

If this is the case, then forget about my third issue. :?

"On snow or ice or gravel, we all know that a car will not stop or steer. And yet rally cars do both of these things. That means the whole thing is sorcery, and the people who do the driving must be witches." - Jermy Clarkson.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:04 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

(Don't worry Wayne, all of the slideways rally team should more than meet the CARS experience requirements....)

I am a huge advocate of having a way for new folks to make the step into full Stage Events. The other side of that is for a number of years we've tried this approach, and have had little interest in new folks coming forth.

Tara/Sabrina/Kevin etc are exceptions. They've been very forthright in stating they will be doing a Sprint to get some experience, and would have last Oct save for the event status change.

Now this year we may be on the cusp of something. We have not only Tara/Kevin, but one other serious build starting. We also have two new cages or cars under construction that we need to know the intention of.

I guess I was sort of hoping we'd get some sound off here, but the folks doing the building may not be here.

I would suggest a sort of proactive approach to finding out who is doing what this year. Not to put any added work on organizers, and it's the sort of thing that one could do on FB messenger in an evening perhaps.

Suggest we discuss the new cars at the FEB BAC Meeting? Perhaps we ask those building to be present and state their intentions?

(note the meeting location change this month)

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:40 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Wow! I didn't expect things in this thread to blow up the way they did, it was intended as a simple question. (possibly based of misinformation :erm: )

First off, I would like to thank those who responded quickly regarding the licensing concerns. I've had this conversation myself quite a few times and despite what the CARS rule-book says, there always will remain concerns. Our regional director has awarded licenses for people whom did not meet "specific requirements" but their motor-sport experience was adequate to warrant the opportunity. I have full faith in the regional director to make the right decision, and I will continue strive to have a reasonable development path into performance rally.

Next, I would like to thank Ian (a frequent forum user) for his ever so level headed approach to things. I agree that the BAC meeting is likely the best location for these discussions, but I was hoping to hammer some things out before we made it to that point, especially since the internet seems much more accessible than actually attending a meeting for most people.

Thirdly, I would really like to know whom these folks are midway through a rally car build.... I've heard rumors of too many people with plans that have fallen though time and time again. Until I have direct contact with these folks bending tube (so to speak) I'm not willing to modify events on their behalf. Sidenote: I'd gladly sort out any issues via E-mail or FB messenger, if I had any knowledge of people with intent outside of our regular group of seven... (pun not intended :lol: )

With regards to entry fees, I will figure those as as soon as I can. Historically, our "Sprints" had an entry around $150 and last year it went up to $200. Even with seven cars and and a "sub-par event" the club lost money. Not that long ago CARS had been giving our region, MASSIVE discounts on insuring our events; as we were considered an upstart. That time has passed and entry fee is overdue to increase for all forms of rally. Locally our entry fees for rally are less than 50% of what they are in the rest of Canada; be it, performance stage rally, rallysprint, or even rallycross.

As for points, I haven't a clue, I raised a question about the points system last meeting and was never given a concise answer. As far as I could care, "the rules are made up, and the points don't matter" -Drew Carrey

The development system was mentioned as a concern and while I agree, I also have to agree... (pros vs. cons) There is a committee in place looking to rectify our development system, but I can't give you an answer/alternative just yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Your continued efforts are appreciated Dustin, thank you!

See you this evening.