ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:31 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Beer guy is still here after the R1. I love this guy. He needs an award. He has friends with him now. They brought beer too.

A quick transit, and the last run of Preton.

It's a special person who volunteers. Your more special if you do this in harsh weather. And if you are the young lady at Le Preton Start Time Control, wearing full rain gear and an AA Callister, Ridge Top Cow Boy Hat complete with proper rubber boots while checking time cards at 2200hrs in rural Quebec, we shall simply title you "Rally Queen".

She is also cooking sausages on a wood fired BBQ. The smile on her face is far greater than any LUX value on our light pod. Cheers to the volunteers. :P
A nod to the sausages and the people enjoying them, We stage at the lights. The wet is wet now, and my gloves are starting to stick to the wheel.....

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS????"

"Great, now we're gonna get frikken' yelled at....."
"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

Last edited by Ian Pearce on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:37 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

There is mist in most hollows now, 400's are terrifying because the rain shortens the lights penetration. Several 5's feels good, and then get followed by a 4 that almost takes you off.

My adrenal glands will need a vacation after this. My focus is starting to wain, and this is when the bad stuff happens. We do have a fairly wide R3 at a chicane, but the berm is high and saves us. We may have marked the sidewall..... perhaps a fender.....

Done and clear of Preton, we have one last transit.

The transit out of Preton is an ATV trail along the river. It widens, and there are a few houses. At the end of one driveway is a family, with kids watching all the cars transit out of the stage. They may not have made Parc Expose, perhaps they weren't in town at the Start......

Gord opens the glovebox to find a handful of Rallyeast Stickers, and I stop the car. There is about 5 seconds of the parents trying to convince the kids it's safe to approach a burbling rally car.
The gleeful group takes the stickers on offer, and retreats to the driveway end with smiles as big as we've seen today, waving good by.

Somehow, THIS makes it all worth wild........

We need to get back to service.......

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

Last edited by Ian Pearce on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:45 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

We complete the final service of the event. For the first time, we won't need fuel.

The car is fine it seems, fluids are good, and we are all wet. Everything gets a good shake. The next time we see Cal, Daph and James, will hopefully be back here with the event completed.

There are more trailers leaving service as we sit in the control area. Last year this was us. I spare a thought for those who's event is not going so well.

As we head off past where the streetlights end, it becomes almost serene. There is the throb of the engine, the whine of the gravels on the asphalt, and a glow from the gauges..... out of my right eye on Gords side of the Cage, the distance calculator counts us down to the final start control.......

Gord has a small stuffed monkey of his daughters as a good luck charm. (FIA8847-2010 STUFFY MOUNTS) It's being fairly quiet.
I discovered a squeaky toy in my bag when I unpacked. Results of a Sheltie incursion. At some point, the service crew has attached this to my A pillar bar on the cage. For a brief moment, I almost thought I heard it say something......

Last edited by Ian Pearce on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:37 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Andy Mitchell wrote:
Not meaning to interrupt, but TSN ran their coverage of this event yesterday at 2:00. Looked wicked!

Carry on. :lol:

This!!!!

WRC manages commentated video recaps a mere 4 hours after an event. If TSN has put together footage with their menial Canadian TV funding a week after the fact, why hasn't the CRC released a video for Rocky Mountain Rally, more than TWO MONTHS later!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

The intersection of the covered bridge over the Caspicadia is well lighted, and we see it approach from higher ground...

Once more across it, and the jogleft that brings us to the stage start. Regrouping has given us extra time, and we have a few minutes to sit. The rain is persistent....

Cars that had mechanicals earlier are now reseeded into the order. Some behind us, some infront...... Do your math right and you should check in on time...

Into the stage, we tip toe. There is no glory to be had here, we cannot catch anyone on time, but we can certainly still DNF. We don't want that, and the others that have worked so hard for us over the past few days do not either.

On the long run to the chicane mid stage, we have lights closing on us. I figure it's the Honda of Lavoilette and Cyr. They've gotten there issues fixed, and have a high degree of confidence in the wet and dark. They've caught us before, and we're prepared to let them past again, when the engine note speaks volumes about who or what this car is...

What might be best described as a 22B replica with all the horses in full employ, rockets past our left side, and streaks off towards the tight sections. There are many kicks and rises that would throw most cars off the line I'm sure. I marvel at what really really good suspension can do......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:10 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I take just a split second longer to savour our last pass through Camp Brule.

It's been a crap night for spectating, and it really should be said that these fans are hard core. There are fewer of them now, but it's still a sight to behold.

We give one final hand signal to "Beer Guy" who is still as enthusiastic as ever. He's flipping horns back at us, which seems all too appropriate given the time of evening, and the weather. In or out of the car you have to be a bit "off" to enjoy this.

We'll wrap up our stage, on the road, and past a flying finish a few km later. We have done it. A solid handshake between Gord and I.... We greatfully thank the final finish control in english and french, and make our transit back.

Without running Preton a final time, the transit is short to service, no more than a few km of rural farming roads. Not much on the go this time of night. Except rallying......

A Main TC allows us to check in early with what ever time we request in the future. Here's to good math we hope.

There is a few taps on the roof tin as we pull it in under the tent. It's back with four corners on it. Not the same four we started with mind you... but that's rallying.

Jon and Tim are back as well. Not much worse for the wear, their gremlin was a control arm bushing that decided to leave somewhere around Central Brule #2. Noisy, but not a show stopper.

We don't bother to clean up much. That will be a daylight item tomorrow.

James has the wheel, and I curl up in the back of the tow rig. I've never ridden back here it occurs to me. Giving my eyes a break is wonderous after the past two days of focus.

Back at the house, we try and peel off the many layers of wet Nomex. There is no way to make it sound graceful or attractive. We are wet and Dirty. Straws are drawn for first into the shower. It seems like a good gesture to let the service crew go first. They have worked very hard for us today.......

Last edited by Ian Pearce on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:30 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Lunn's Mill's Products are on offer, and it's not too long before Jon and Tim have stumbled in.

Gord's got the laptop up with some of the days video. Always interesting to see the other side of it, and see just how close things are sometimes.

We share some good stories about the corners we liked, and the ones we didn't. Those memorable moments, and the things you'd rather forget.

Somewhere around the wee hours, foreheads start to hit the table. It's been a long long day, we'll regroup in the morning, under less trying scheduling.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:41 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

The breakfast is full on this morning. It's our unwind day, and we'll do just that.

More of Daph's bread, eggs, bacon..... and essential to life... Coffee....

Light conversation, enjoyment of the deck, and the burbling of the river in the background. I do love this place.

We'll trundle back to the service park to pack mid morning. It's a good game of tetris on the go. James has bought parts while here, and we've bought tires. One would think a full size SUV is large enough..... This is how the arms race starts I think.

Jon Liam and Tim are packing as well. Liam has not met with the enjoyment of the Saut de 5 Jump, so they are off to spectate for the day. Liam seems excited.

Cal is busy trying to buy anything that might be of value off Guite's Freedome car. Daph is busy trying to convince him that this is a bad idea. Cal is now busy trying to figure out how Meg is transmitting her thoughts through Daph. The rest of us are watching with great amusement.

Spectators are in and out phone cameras in hand. Given that the National cars are out on stage, that leave us Regional folks, and the less fortunate. Always seems to make me slightly entertained that I own a car someone wants a picture of. My '79 Volvo didn't do that much......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:57 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Mid afternoon we are back at the homestead. James Caql and Gord have stopped to see if they can find the last bits of orange from last years incident on Center Brule. They do.

James has been working on a special project for the trip. Seasoned ribs, slow cooked and smoked. I would do a disservice trying to explain it. The quality and flavour could change a religion. In fact several of us signed up for the news letter.....

The rest of the Lunn's Mill and Ribs is enjoyed with smiles and laughs. Max, Cindy and Felix drop in. Felix is uncertain on the rib situation. We think he'll grow to enjoy them........

Monday is transit day. Fuel and coffee, and good weather. Cal is crushed to find Mom's Duty Free closed at the border, and takes the rest of the trip for consoling.

The Dogburban is proving to be the pack mule we hoped it would be. Fully loaded and Rallycar on trailer it's turning in 18l/100km. I'm tickled. The AC is not working, and that does kinda irritate, especially at 28 ambient near Bathurst...... You can't win 'em all. I'll take the trade off.

We try the Pita Pit at Miramichi, just for variety. Our faithful car trailer has now told us that the redecking project is moved from "on the list", to "essential" it's donating it's wood to the Irving reseeding project as we go. Mostly in mulch form. I get my hands slapped for poking. Not the first time in my life this has happened.

A last stop at Sackville NB for fuel and coffee. We'll wind up back in Metro near 1800 hrs.

Gord and I take a few moments to stare at the car, back in the garage. It's very satisfying to have completed this, and have most of the gear in similar shape to when we started. It'll take a few days to sink in I'm sure. There are creeks, rattles and shudders in Recce and Rallycars, but nothing too earth shattering we hope. Preparation is key, and we've done a fair bit of that this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:21 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

We cannot say enough about the local Motorsport Community. Our home Club of ASCC, and BAC who put so many hours into rally organizing and volunteering.

Anything we asked for, from a loan of parts, to evenings of garage use, we got. We received unsolicited offers of everything from tools to Car Haulers.
We received a lot of support from local companies. Special shout out to East Coast Race Fab and ISI Motorsport for their help. GNP and Rallytech we thank again.

Cal, James and Daph, put in hours of work that we could never afford to pay for. So we bribed them with food and beer. It seemed to work. Thank you all for your help to keep us on the road, physically and mentally.

Thanks to family and friends who looked after children and pets so we could do this thing. Monkeys and Squeaky Chipmunks made us smile.

The Lookoff Rally will happen August 11 and 12 in Nova Scotia. Cindy McCarron is looking for volunteers. If you have any questions about how to get involved, or what it takes, don't hesitate to ask. There are a dozen cars in our region now, and I'm quite certain any of them are available for viewing if you have questions on a build.

Stay dirty..... We'll see you in the woods..........

(I have tried to recall events and timelines best I could, but I wasn't taking notes. Some artistic license may be present.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:26 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:39 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Yeah, man!

I really enjoyed that, Ian has a gift for storytelling. Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:30 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I don't know how he remembers it all. I was there and couldn't put it into that sort of order. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:58 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Ian blew the ending for me at AMP this weekend, he told me the car came home in one piece

Just absolutely ruined the ending for me 8)

Stacy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:42 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I humbly apologize Stacy. I thought there was enough FB pictures post event that it was already spoiled. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

"Still rough." :mrgreen:

Thoroughly enjoyed the stories and the videos.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-or6HwqBM

-I