The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sprint vs Stage
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:49 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

With the AGM a week away, and since some of it would be Region related, what are people thoughts on Sprint vs Regional Events?

How many folks do we have that realistically wish to begin doing sprint and have access or are planning access to a prepared car?

How do the rest of us feel about Regional events vs the more affordable route of sprints?

Lets talk!

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS????"

"Great, now we're gonna get frikken' yelled at....."
"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

Post subject: Re: Sprint vs Stage
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Great idea to try and get more discussion surrounding this. It is something that definitely needs to be talked about more, although I fear that most of those concerned with the matter, are not forum users.

I have a strong opinion on the matter, but as I am now an "organizer" of events I will refrain from being the first to offer up opinions or information of current/future plans.

What are your thoughts Ian?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:46 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I've considered it. I didn't end up doing any racing or sprint with the Blue Scirocco last year throwing my effort into a couple of Rallies away from home. The idea of replacing it has come to mind a few times with some good looking Quebec deals. Will I? Maybe, probably, eventually.

I think it's a missed opportunity for some of the cheap race cars that have popped up over the years. Its interesting the people who have joined Stage Rally have gone straight to Stage, maybe it's a bigger question. How to get people to move from RallyX to Stage through Sprint? Why is there no one taking a rallyX car and simply caging it the way it is rather than a full build? I've talked to a number of people in Quebec who have done that to run their local events. Stock everything with a cage (And seats now).

Realizing completely that the number of people moving from one to the other and vehicle prep / equipment requirements make sprint debatable. As used gear becomes more accessible building a sprint only car might be more realistic at a certain critical mass.

What is the impact of the change? Longer stages if they're rallies vs sprints? Different license requirements if you're going to do multiple rallies in a year vs single event license and club license for sprints?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:13 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

There's at least one person caging a RallyCross car but its a pretty significant expense and how many of the RallyCross cars out there are platforms that are really worth taking the next step? Start with a decent car, add a cage ($3k or so if you want to drop it off with someone and pick it up caged). Two seats (Sprint doesn't require them to be in date, Full Stage requires them to be within 10 years of manufacture. $1200 or so for a pair of new budget seats), Two sets of belts (Again Sprint can be expired, Stage requires in-date, $400 for a pair of low end 6 point FIA belts), Rally Suspension (or enough spare street stuff to replace what you're going to wreck, personal safety gear (HANS and SA helmets required for everything), etc. Its really encroaching on $10k to get started with a stage car. Its not hard to top what it costs to buy a reasonably okay used car (Like a certain local Golf or Gallant VR4).

Sprints are limited to 5km stages and lower average speeds. Full rallies become much more open but the insurance and logistic requirements increase as well as potentially requiring Regional CARS Licenses which is a fairly significant expense on its own (For 2017 a Single Event is $143.75, Full Regional License for the year is $264.50. Both crew must be licensed. Generally there's no upgrading from one to the other so we're pretty much looking at everybody needing a Regional license going forward from now on.) Some people argue that a Sprint/Sprint Stage is too short to be worthwhile, particularly once you've had a taste for longer stages, others say that the full events are a lot of cost and wear and tear. Not sure what the perfect medium is. (I'm just happy to have events to run period!)