ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Navex Rally Questions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:26 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Fire away, what is a Navex anyway?

A Navex, or Navigational Car rally is a Car Rally, on public roads, with two people and a street legal car.

Hidden in the woods are Checkpoint crews.

The idea is to follow the provided instructions, precisely, so that you arrive at these unknown points, on time.

Penalty points are assigned for being early or late.

Lowest score wins.

Good times will be had, ask those who have been before. :)

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS????"

"Great, now we're gonna get frikken' yelled at....."
"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:22 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Abbreviations Used in Rally:

SA – Straight Ahead
SI – Sign indicates the direction to travel in
R – Right a turn of about 90 degrees
L – Left a turn of about 90 degrees
Tee – Tee the road you are on comes to an end and you must turn either right or left
B – Bear a turn of some where between 0 and 90 degrees
A – Acute a turn or some where between 90 and 180 degrees
K - Keep
XR – Crossroads
RRX – Rail road crossing
CAS – Change or Commence Average Speed
EOS – End of section
TWRT – Two way rally traffic. You can expect competitors traveling in either direction.

@ - Combining an instruction with a location.
Examples:
Tee R – Tee Right
R@XR – Right at Cross Roads.
B L – Bear Left
Stop AL – Stop, Acute Left

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:42 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Patricia and I haven't tried an experienced Navex yet, only a few novice. anything extra that we should bring along?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:54 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Greg Sweet wrote:
Patricia and I haven't tried an experienced Navex yet, only a few novice. anything extra that we should bring along?

All we use is a calculator, pen, and a clipboard. Oh, and a light cause this one's at night.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:53 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Greg Sweet wrote:

Patience

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:20 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Tim Dine wrote:
Greg Sweet wrote:

Patience

:orglaugh:

"On snow or ice or gravel, we all know that a car will not stop or steer. And yet rally cars do both of these things. That means the whole thing is sorcery, and the people who do the driving must be witches." - Jermy Clarkson.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

There should be nothing "required" for Experienced that isn't needed for Novice.

The idea is that the instructions are a bit more creative, and may take a moments thought more.

There is nothing special required. There is no special knowledge or intimate familiarity with the area required. Everything is presented to you, as it would be in Novice.

We met for several hours last night to go over things, Sonia and Jim have done a wonderful job on things. This should be good!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:05 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Given the time of year, and time of day, there are a couple of observations for winter rallying:

Lighting for navigator of some sort. Head lamps are neat, but they blind the driver when the Navigator looks at the driver to ask, "what did that sign say?"

Snow tires should be considered required. It's rural NS, in Winter.

Bring a shovel, water, warm clothes, and appropriate footwear. The driver will be in and out of the car at Checkpoints.

Make sure wipers and windscreen washer system is working. :)

Fuel is available within 100m of the start. Food is available at start.

Clipboard, digital watch that can be set to official time, and has a second display. (There MAY be a couple loaners available at start, but no guarantee.) Pencils, pens.... snack food.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:06 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Ian Pearce wrote:
Lighting for navigator of some sort. Head lamps are neat, but they blind the driver when the Navigator looks at the driver to ask, "what did that sign say?"

I like dim red lights. Canadian tire has had headlamps that come with red filters in the past. Red tuck tape over the light kind of works. Thumb mounted bike tail light is my other recent experiment.

I guess I should FINALLY think about putting the snow tires on. I feel like I might regret it driving around out on those roads.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:32 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

ODOMETER CHECK

The first section of a Navex Rally. It contains clear, plain language instructions to follow. It will be a minimum of 15km, but not usually more than 25km.

There are no Checkpoints. Your are given an elapsed time to complete it. Thus, there will be no CAS offered usually. Simply follow the speed limit signs.

At the end of the Odo Check, you are given a defined point at which to stop, and TAKE NOTE of your odometer reading. This reading/divided by the official odometer reading provided, gives you a correction factor for the mileages given for the event.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:34 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Tim Dine wrote:
Ian Pearce wrote:

I like dim red lights. Canadian tire has had headlamps that come with red filters in the past. Red tuck tape over the light kind of works. Thumb mounted bike tail light is my other recent experiment.

I guess I should FINALLY think about putting the snow tires on. I feel like I might regret it driving around out on those roads.

Definitely get the snow tires on. You don't want to be "that team". :( It sucks.

2007 Mustang GT
Kentville

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:49 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Brent O'Connor wrote:
Tim Dine wrote:
Ian Pearce wrote:
Definitely get the snow tires on. You don't want to be "that team". :( It sucks.

I've almost been that team a couple times. Tires saving us would have been questionable. Once underestimating how close the ditch was when stopping for a checkpoint. Fortunately we were in a tall off-road 4x4, 10min later we drove out with lots of spinning and worry about tipping over. Other time was a 'unique' line taken through a corner which took us clearly through a ditch. We didn't get stuck, but got some some questions about what happened from the team following us.

With the current weather some mud terrains might be best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:32 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

CAS = Change Average Speed, or Continue Average Speed.

Likely the most common instruction in Navex. While usually at a turn or change of road surface, it is the instruction to start driving at a new average speed.

TIME: In Navex Rallying everything is based on time. Make sure to set your watch to the Official Time at the start of the rally. All Checkpoint crews and volunteers will have done the same, and the entire event is run on this principle.

CAR 0= In Performance Rally, Car 0 is a course warning car, that is before rally traffic. It's usually fancy and loud, with lights and very cool blinky things. :)
In Navex, Car 0 is a mythical car. It does not physically exist. It drives the route perfectly on time, it never gets lost, it is never too slow or fast.
It is a way to calculate the timing for the event. You may ask for Official Car 0 Time at a Checkpoint.

Your start time for the rally, is based on Car 0. Cars depart on 2 minute intervals. This event starts at 16:30. If you are car #1, you will go at 16:32. If you are car 11 you are 22 min after car 0, or 16:52. etc etc.....

Someone will be there to send you on your way. Instructions are given to you 1 minute before your time out.