ARMS Homepage
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Navex Rally Feedback.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:17 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

We had a good event last weekend.

As a participant, what would you like to see in Navigational Rallying?

Was it too short? Too long? Instructions too hard? Too easy?

Share with us your thoughts. :)

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS????"

"Great, now we're gonna get frikken' yelled at....."
"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:50 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I though the instructions were great, and the area chosen works well given the spiderweb of roads available. I'm less of a fan of "brute force" types of instruction like the tables section(last one I believe - didn't actually run it), but they do separate excellent timing from OK timing. Placing it at the end was good, gave time to sort through it before actually running it. Enjoyed adding clock face instructions to what would have otherwise been a basic "mathex" in the earlier stage. These simple variations make it enjoyable.

It was great to see the mass of novice teams, and I hope they enjoyed the night. I look forward to seeing what they have to add.

If you were a novice team, please add your comments too.

2007 Mustang GT
Kentville

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:01 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

P and I had a great time. It's a really weird feeling to have absolutely no idea how well you're doing until the dash plaques are handed out. The slippery surfaces definitely made it feel like a real rally stage at times.

I think our ability to pick this up so quickly shows how well the organizers/volunteers set up this event. It was pretty fun to have the variety in the course notes to keep us on our toes. I guess our only recurring comment was the length of the event. Maybe it's because I have too much ADD to sit in a car for 5 hours, but we were pretty worn out by the end of it. Should have kept a thermos of emergency coffee on hand :lol: . Was this length typical of events? That being said, it was really rewarding to see a good result after sticking with it that long!

We'd definitely try another in the future. Out of curiosity, how do the instructions change going to the experienced class?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:41 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Greg, I can email you the experienced instructions, if Ian and Jim say that's ok. Not sure the agreement on that. Ours are pretty marked up at this point.

When we did novice, the instructions were usually pretty good. Trick is to really read them. I would say this is a normal length, maybe a touch on the long side. We always bring water and some snacks. Bathroom breaks can be tricky as well.

I would recommend doing at least 2-4 in novice before switching. We didn't really want to switch yet last year, but are doing ok now. The 1st 2 events experienced were a serious challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:16 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Given this was a regional event, I expected it to be longer. Other club events (not included in regional championship) are often shorter.

Of note, the rally time duration is listed in the supp regs. This was scheduled for 5hrs 4 mins.

2007 Mustang GT
Kentville

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:41 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director
ARMS Performance Solo Director

Yeah, where this was a regional it was a bit longer. I say we do the same route but make it 3.5hrs. :lol:
Up the speeds a bit. :wink:

Seriously though, we had a good time. Great job Ian and Jim!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:41 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I thought it was excellent. The only thing I can offer is exactly what I said last year; there needs to be some kind of break in there.

GT4 - 93/2000 Mazda Miata
GT5 - 89 Suzuki Swift GTI
GT6 - 86 CRX
ITE - 88 Camaro 1LE
ITA - 89/90 CRX Si
ITB - 85 Civic 1500S/89 Suzuki Swift GTI
ITC - 85/86 Civic
SM - 93/2000 Mazda Miata
Targa NL - 88 CRX Si
Rally Sprint - 95 Del Sol VTEC
Unlimited - All of the above!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:48 pm 
ARMS Secretary
ARMS Secretary

I thought it was a great event. As to length, a bit long perhaps but it was all there in the supp regs so you know what to expect. The novice instructions were straightforward...if only I had taken a ruler so I could read the average speeds on the right line and paid attention during the last few instructions...

I really enjoyed the school that was offered a few years ago, and the short nav rally that followed. I know these things are a lot of work, but a school for novices considering moving to experienced and short rally might be a good idea. Would also be good to have some experienced rallyers go over ways to calculate times between CP's and do a Tips, Tricks and Traps session, such as how to get back on track after screwing something up.

All in all good fun for car nuts waiting for summer! Many thanks to Ian, Jim and all the other volunteers.

'01 DHG Mustang Bullitt #16
'22 Golf R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:32 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Evan:

You go right ahead and email the Experience to Greg et al.

It sometimes interesting to see how the Novice and Exp compare.

It can be tough to gauge how a given presentation will work. Sometimes something seems like it'll be smooth, other times it seems to catch people when you didn't expect it would.

Do people feel that Navex should be more like a timing exercise, sort of like the US series, or is the interpretation of the instructions that makes it interesting?

-I

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS????"

"Great, now we're gonna get frikken' yelled at....."
"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:29 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Ian Pearce wrote:
Evan:

snip...

Do people feel that Navex should be more like a timing exercise, sort of like the US series, or is the interpretation of the instructions that makes it interesting?

-I

I prefer that the instructions make it the challenge. Doing a math exam in a moving car (in the dark) isn't fun. That is why speedpilots etc showed up on scene. When you add the fact that most cars have an average speed readout on the stock odometer, timing can be simple to do.

2007 Mustang GT
Kentville