ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:15 pm 
Interested in getting a taste of rally driving?

Perhaps you're an AutoSlalom junkie looking for a cone-dodging fix during the long winter months? Or maybe just interested in some hands on driving experience in slippery, less than ideal conditions, to better prepare you for our soon to be slippery winter streets? Then participating in a BAC RallyCross event would be just right for you!

RallyCross is an off-road AutoSlalom event. A number of times between November and March we will haul out the cones and timing equipment at the Scotia Speed World spectator parking lot and or the AMP (back 40 as it known locally) parking lot to rip it up against the clock in the mud, snow, gravel and what ever mother nature throws at us. Whether you have a Stunning STI or a Rusted-out Rabbit, come out to an event and give it a try!

We are pleased to announce that the BAC RallyCross Challenge will be held again this year. We are hoping to continue on the fun and success of the last few years.

Event Dates

November 23, 2014 - Scotia Speed World, NS cancelled
December 07, 2014 - Scotia Speed World, NS - Completed
January 04, 2015 - Scotia Speed World, NS - Completed
January 18, 2015 - Atlantic Motorsport Park, NS - COMING UP!
February 15, 2015 - Scotia Speed World, NS
March 01, 2015 - Atlantic Motorsport Park, NS
March 15, 2015 - Scotia Speed World, NS
March 29, 2015 - Atlantic Motorsport Park, NS

Event Schedule:

1000: Course setup
1000 - 1100: Registration and Scrutineering
1100: Drivers' Meeting and official walk around
1130: Start of RallyCross
1600: End of RallyCross (Depends on number of entrants)

Classes:

- Prepared: Including (a) Rally and Race prepared vehicles, (b) vehicles with other than OEM (as the vehicle in question came from the factory) drive train (engine, transmission, rear ends, etc...) and or suspension modifications, (c) vehicles that have had parts removed that cause a weight reduction (seats, carpets, headliners, air conditioning, ABS, etc...)
- All wheel / 4 Wheel Drive
- Front wheel drive
- Rear wheel drive

**Note: Studded snow tires are allowed in all classes.**

Come watch (Free)! Come play ($20)! Its more fun in the dirt!

Quickie FAQ:

Q. What do I need to participate?

A. A running car that's street safe, tires, brakes, etc. It is the competitors responsibility to come to the event with a vehicle that is in good working order and can safely complete the event.

Tech inspections will be preformed randomly on street driven vehicles. Non street driven vehicles that are towed or trailered to the event will be teched at their first event and then randomly after that.

Helmets will be inspected to confirm Snell M2000 or better rating, Snell M2005 required as of January 1, 2015. DOT approved helmets are not accepted. If you don't have a helmet loaners are available on-site.

You will also need a membership in an ARMS affiliated club (BAC, ASCC, MMSC, etc...) Memberships will be available on site, $25 for new BAC members and good for one year. This membership will also allow you to participate in Navigational Rallies and AutoSlaloms held throughout the year by various ARMS affiliated clubs.

Q. How do I know what class to run in?

A. RallyCross classes are very simple and mostly based on your vehicle's drivetrain. AWD, FWD and RWD. Rally prepared cars, I.e. caged, gutted, etc. Run in 'Open' class.

Q. How many runs do I get?

A. There will be 4 timed runs per driver, times are added together for a total time which will be what your overall placement and points will be based on.

Q. Can I share a vehicle?

A. Shared vehicles are encouraged and there are no limit to the number of drivers per car. Entry fees are per-driver.

Q. Do you run in the rain/snow/mud/dirt/ice?

A. RallyCross is performed on whatever surface is on the ground. Bring adaquate footwear for all conditions.

Q. I've never driven on loose surface before, can I still participate?

A. RallyCross is a very friendly environment, all manner of competitors participate from 16 year old first timers to experienced national rally competitors. All are welcome! RallyCross is a great way to learn how to drive on slippery/loose surfaces!

Note
Minimum age for both competitors and passengers is 16. All those competitors and passengers under the age of majority (19) in Nova Scotia must have a parental consent waiver signed before you are allowed to participate. The parental consent waiver can be found at the following url
http://www.asncanada.com/2009_Insurance ... Waiver.pdf
If you wish to participate in a street driven vehicle and it is not registered in your name then you must have written permission from the vehicles owner to enter the event.

What if you just want to watch?

Q. Show up when?

A. Usually about 11:15 should be good. Don't forget to sign the insurance waiver, usually at registration or the starters vehicle.

Q. Park where?

A. At Scotia Speed World as you come into the spectator parking lot keep to the left and park between the road and the hill.

At AMP park in the paddock area.

Q. Need to bring your own chairs or is there a spectator box/seating area?

A. Bring chairs.

Q. Any more info that a spectator may need to know?

A. Bring food if you want to eat and bring appropriate clothing and foot ware for the weather conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:02 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director

Regional?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:00 pm 
Brian Partridge wrote:
Regional?

Sorry Brian, but no, it is not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:11 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

My compliments Cindy. Very nice post on Rally Cross. Clear and concise. Very informative.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:35 pm 
Hoping to make an appearance this weekend. Look forward to seeing everyone again!

Been working all weekends for too long, this is changing soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:35 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Going to be really interesting, wet/melt today, deep freeze tomorrow, then back to warm/melt Sunday! I think our studs are going to be in our favor this weekend!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:36 pm 
What a day! Weather was perfect, and conditions were perfect...well... almost!

Thank you Harold for the warm drinks and snacks, and of course for photo-documenting the event.

Thanks to Pidge and Cathy for taking care of the timing and registration and all other random activities that we need done to make the event happen.

Thanks to Dave for the pre-course prep work, it certainly paid off, the course was beautiful.

And finally thanks to all the competitors that helped out with course clean-up and running for cones. It is truly appreciated and makes the day run so much smoother.

Results will follow shortly.

Don't forget the next event in the BAC Rally Cross series is February 1st at AMP. The first event in the Regional Rally Cross series is hosted by MMSC at Magic Mountain on February 8th. For more information about the Regional Rally Cross Championship please see viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13573.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:22 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

And thanks to Cindy too! That was definitely my favorite event so far. At times you actually feel like you may be on a little rally stage. Can't wait for the next one!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:54 pm 
Greg Sweet wrote:
And thanks to Cindy too! That was definitely my favorite event so far. At times you actually feel like you may be on a little rally stage. Can't wait for the next one!

Thanks Greg! So glad you enjoyed it! Cal has to take the credit tho for this course, and he promises to deliver an even better course for February 1st

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:19 am 

Nice job Dave! Although I think it was the Neon that should get the credit. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:01 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Great driving, Dave! it boggles my mind to think of making up ~20 seconds to match your times on the last two runs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:34 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Photos from the 18 Jan 15 BAC RallyCross event may now be found at:

http://www.bluenoseautosport.ca/hmmerk/ ... /index.htm

Some samples:

- Harold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:06 am 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Great pictures Harold.

Is it okay if I grab these pictures and post them on facebook?

Thank you.

Lauro Gonzales

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:07 am 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Thanks for Cindy and the other organizers of the event. It was so much fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:03 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

The photos I post in the ARMS Fora are intended mainly for the enjoyment of the drivers and car owners. However, they may be used in essentially any way that helps to promote motorsport. The words on the BAC Photos page are: "BAC members, as well as any competitors depicted, or organizers and/or sponsors of the events involved may copy and reproduce these images without further reference to the owner of the images (Harold Merklinger) for any purpose associated with motorsport or the business of the sponsor. Specifically, ASN Canada and the Canadian Association of RallySport may use these images without restriction." Basically, all I ask is that you don't use the pictures to embarrass anyone, and that you don't claim ownership of the images. Any monetary value gained from the photos should go back into motorsport. For example, using the image on a T-shirt and selling the T-shirts is OK with me - provided the money generated supports motorsport in some way (such as helping you or a friend participate).

By the way, photos from many past events may be found on the BAC "Photos" page:

http://www.bluenoseautosport.ca/hmmerk/

- Harold