ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:41 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

IN! She'll be dress shopping, I'll be tire shredding. Sounds good to me. Anybody got an empty trailer on the way back? Can you tow a Saab with an E36?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:30 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Dev - sorry I did not get back to you we only had a meeting last night. Stacy kind of covered it in his post.

Scott...And speaking of T-shirts.......seeing as this IS our 50th year we are going to DOUBLE it and we are having 2 T-shirts. that's right we became dead locked on which design we prefer.
so for the REGIONAL EVENT. the T-shirt will be design number 5 or the vertical strips. the shirt itself will be black.
To celebrate the anniversary of the club becoming an official club, we are using the speedo shirt or design number 6 (images are numbered)

IF you want to substitute the Speedo shirt in your registration there will be a small $20 fee to do so. ;) the Speedo shirts will also be available to purchase separately at the registration table for only $20.00 These will also be black.

So any questions? clear as mud?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:37 pm 
Infield Hooligan
Infield Hooligan

Stacy Chapman wrote:
You heard right, NBSCC is giving away a car at the event...

Thanks
Stacy

Is this a History making moment in Atlantic Autoslalom prize winning category ?? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:49 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Kev, you need to get up here and take some pictures as that would constitute a volunteer and get you a ballot :D
Attachment:
spyker.jpg
spyker.jpg [ 62.13 KiB | Viewed 12133 times ]

Besides you know you want to own one of these again, and this one is a Turbo!

Stacy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:59 pm 
Infield Hooligan
Infield Hooligan

Stacy Chapman wrote:
Kev, you need to get up here and take some pictures as that would constitute a volunteer and get you a ballot :D
Attachment:
spyker.jpg

Besides you know you want to own one of these again, and this one is a Turbo!

Stacy

Yeah...my 85' Saab 900 was an eight valve and slow but it was the "best" winter car I have ever owned. I still would like to get me hands on the 89 Saab SPG that a friend of mine had. Now there is a fella on the next street over that appears to enjoy the SAAB marque as he has about 5 in the driveway. 8O

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:07 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

A Saab would go along so well with my Volvo. Perfect Scandinavian symmetry...

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:54 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Joel N wrote:
Preregistered for sunday. Should I bring a dealer plate with me?

I suggest bringing a clutch

2017 Jack Canfield Memorial 3 Hour Enduro - 1st Overall
2019 CASC-OR Celebration of Motorsport - 1st GT2
NBSCC Race Director

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:24 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Random draw of the 2002 Saab 2.3 turbo Linear 9-5 official NBSCC contest rules:

1.) We don't actually have a lottery license so the Contest winner must buy car for $1.00. Loonies preferred, and gold wrapped chocolate pirate booty while accepted will also have to be accompanied by (4) quarters.

2.) Winner must also be member of an ARMS affiliated club and reside on the planet Earth. Failure to provide proof of heartbeat or breathing of oxygen will result in disqualification.

3.) Insurance will not be provided to drive car home, affidavit absolving current owner (me) of ownership will be provided for signature and pin prick of blood drop for dna purposes

4.) Full disclosure: Vehicle driven hard does throw a fault code for throttle body circuit which can be reset on the fly while driving, failure to do so in a timely manner (5 minutes 'ish) will cause car to go into limp mode and cause you to take longer to get home than previously thought. We will try and add a button (per what other Saab owners have done on the internet) to the dash by jumping some unknown wires that fixes problem somewhat like a random game of whack'a'mole

5.) Second disclosure: Heating controls wonky. Currently set to defrost for safety, but hey who are we to stand in the way of your comfort if you so choose to manually move some flaps around so that your nice and toasty while driving off a cliff. See Note 3

6.) Last known disclosure: It's a wagon, it's an automatic, and in the words of the late Henry Ford ...car can be had in any colour you want as long as it is black.

7.) Winner must be present to win at end of competition Sunday. Winner can relinquish their ownership (prior to accepting prize) to another ARMS member that is more deserving if they so choose. This will go a long ways towards to "Sportsman of the event award" to be given out immediately after this presentation.

8.) Winner must pick up pieces if they so choose to get a Monster truck from the show next door to squash it.

9.) Any vehicle defects, deficiencies, or deficits are responsibility of new owners. Sold as is, where is! ...and please don't leave it "as is, where is" cause the Port will charge us extra rent.

10.) Winner will be asked to answer a skill testing question something along the lines of the square root of Pi, so that they can be perceived as providing a service to NBSCC and receive the car as payment ...or they can help pick up pylons.

11.) Any perceived unfairness of the random drawing will be just too bad. Atlantic Lotto was asked if we could borrow their old bingo ball like machines and they turned us down, so we will do it any way we see fit.

12.) Note that un-sportsman like conduct (or any other reason deemed by the organizers at their discretion, like a last name ending in Chapman) will result in name be pulled from the contest.

13.) These rules can be updated or changed and most likely will be at any time, including after the random draw ...because if we have missed something here you can be sure that we are not going to be sued for it and something creative like "Those wearing a Keep calm chive-on shirt and the first name of... " will not be eligible for the prize will be added to the rules with just a few keystrokes of a keyboard really fast.

NBSCC Club President
Stacy Chapman

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:22 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Dave Hull wrote:
How about NBSCC selling the car and splitting the proceeds 50/50 with the winner?

That would be my suggestion if I was so lucky to win. :)

But Dave this is a CAR we are giving away. (we already have a cash prize) WHO else in the region would give a CAR away at an event?

We are celebrating 50 years of motorsport as a club and we like to do things in a big way!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:48 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

2nd prize is TWO Saabs ? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:41 am 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Na, I'm keeping Squiggy shown in the background for a RallyCross car someday (...and it too was the best winter car I've ever owned, literally would go places Dora and Yundra my 4x4's couldn't)
Attachment:
image1.JPG [342.39 KiB]
Downloaded 1051 times

...and Dave I was thinking that if you won Lenny, then you could sell it and give us half? :wink:

Stacy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:16 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director
ARMS Performance Solo Director

I figured that he only wanted half of the money, so give him 50 cents. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:27 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

All the snow gone yet? I just booked at Chateau SJ no cancelation for a cheaper rate...

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:45 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Due to some late breaking logistical and mechanical issues, I may be in need of a seat for this event. If someone is interested in having a co-driver, please PM me.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:32 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

If you cut your legs off at the knees you could drive in my car.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:58 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

So you haven't seen much chatter on here about our 50th anniversary event as that stupid snow bank refuses to melt :?

I gotta say the City of Saint John sure made a valiant effort to get rid of it with three large pieces of machinery working at it every day for weeks now. it must have cost big $$$ to do, and we are very appreciative of their efforts!
...But it has become very apparent that it's just not going to happen in time :(

So here is what is left of the giant iceberg as of yesterday morning:
Attachment:
port ice.JPG [143.01 KiB]
Downloaded 877 times

However don't Despair just yet!

An emergency meeting has been scheduled with Harbour Station which is right next door to see about the possibility of us using their facility for the Regional Event #1 on Sunday. :D :D :D

This means that the school and club event will have to be cancelled as there is a Monster truck show inside the Coliseum on Saturday, but right now we will take whatever we can get!
It's going to be tight schedule wise, probably cost us a pretty penny, but at least if we don't reach everybody in time it will become quite obvious that we are just next door?

Here are some current pics of the site (fingers crossed!):
Attachment:
hs-1.JPG [249.01 KiB]
Downloaded 877 times
Attachment:
hs-2.JPG [186.88 KiB]
Downloaded 877 times
Attachment:
hs-3.JPG [174.55 KiB]
Downloaded 877 times

...We will keep you informed as we find out more!

Yours in Motorsports
Stacy Chapman
NBSCC Club President

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:34 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Unfortunate, but expected given the size of the glacier. Hopefully this other lot becomes available. If not, when will we know to cancel bookings/etc..?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:05 pm 
Infield Hooligan
Infield Hooligan

That's a Bummer Stacy.... :(

Hmmm...Ice Berg...Iceberg...C4...gasoline...match...weenie roast...Monster truck testing...just thinking out load !! 8O

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:08 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

We are hoping to know more by Tuesday... Not knowing is really messing with any Kijiji ad's, Facebook postings, and general advertising we want to do too :?

Here's a Bird's eye view of the facility:
Attachment:
hs-4.JPG [212.64 KiB]
Downloaded 868 times

Stacy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:17 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Kevin Doubleday wrote:

Hmmm...Ice Berg...Iceberg...C4...gasoline...match...weenie roast...Monster truck testing...just thinking out load !! 8O

We thought about renting a large industrial pump and spraying a nice salty sea water mix at it from the bay ...but apparently while it's ok to let it naturally melt and wash out into the ocean this would be a big environmental no no :roll:

Stacy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:42 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

to me, letting it melt naturally is equivalent to the kid walking around flailing his arms saying 'if you get hit it's not my fault'. It's going to happy regardless. I understand keeping the rocks/etc from going in the harbour, but i'm pretty sure the wastewater runoff from the roads elsewhere would trump any damage the snow melt might do. Oh well, fingers crossed

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:23 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

The snow melting thing is so ridiculous. It's not for environmental reasons at all. Big companies buy industrial snow melters and charge companies to use them. Somehow these companies managed to make that the mandatory way that snow melts in some cities, as you can't dump it in the harbour nor spray it with sea water. The melters use sea or town water, heat it up (causing increased emissions) then spray the snow with it.

Anyway, sorry about my rant. Keep us updated, Stacy! Good luck.

#20 Scion FR-S 6MT Powered by:
Great North Performance, Morine's Towing Performance & Off Road, Jani-King Canada and Blue Buzzard Performance Parts.

2013+14+15 Atlantic Sports Car Club Overall Autocross Champion
2013+14+15 Atlantic Region Motor Sports Overall Autocross Champion
2017-18 BAC Overall Rallycross Champion

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:06 pm 
Infield Hooligan
Infield Hooligan

Stacy Chapman wrote:
Kevin Doubleday wrote:

We thought about renting a large industrial pump and spraying a nice salty sea water mix at it from the bay ...but apparently while it's ok to let it naturally melt and wash out into the ocean this would be a big environmental no no :roll:

Stacy

Hmmm...Ice sculpting contest using high pressure steam...tunnel boring a T-intersection into the berg and using it as part of the course...paint a large Swastika on it using a water color and wait for the fire department to hose it off. 8O

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:27 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

How's the venue change coming?
Too bad Magic Mountain is no longer available :P

MMSC #12/ASP

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:37 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Mike Pettipas wrote:
How's the venue change coming?
Too bad Magic Mountain is no longer available :P

What happened with MM?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:11 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

They're building a new facility to house an indoor park, which will include most of the old Crystal Palace gear

MMSC #12/ASP

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:17 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

We are pleased to announce that the Regional event has been SAVED! Stacy and I met with the general manager of Harbour station this afternoon and worked out a deal for MAY 31

The school and club event will be another time.
we do thank the port of saint john and the city crews that have worked countless hours trying to get the long wharf location clean in time. We have just come up against an unmoveable time barrier and have moved next door!

So order your shirts, book your hotel room, gas up your car and come on down to a good old fashion autoslalom next door!!! At HARBOUR STATION!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:17 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

The lot is smaller than Long wharf but has more usable area. I think Matt and Stacy are going to go do some looking later tonight when the cars have left for the day.

As for the trucks they will be gone for sure. no guarantee that all the cars will be.

Harbour station is going to announce that there is another event in the parking lot the next day and if possible do not leave your car. however they also don't want people drinking and driving. So we will hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:33 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Yes, we do have both sides and the back part!
It will mean trusting radio communication a lot more than usual ...and due to the distance involved for the wireless timing gear probably doubling back again to the start.

After the Monster trucks finish their show inside Saturday they have another event somewhere else on Sunday, so they will be gone.
Course can modified for proper runoff room for any wayward cars, but we do have unofficial permission to move vehicles if so required (This sentence will self destruct in 5... 4... 3...)

Attachment:
harbour station vs long wharf.JPG [323.57 KiB]
Downloaded 802 times

Stacy

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:40 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Where is parking and registration going to be? And what is the cutoff for registration in the morning? It only lists a start time. I cancelled my hotel because of no saturday event so I plan to come up the morning of.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next