ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:41 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director
ARMS Performance Solo Director

Evan Williams wrote:
I agree with dropping worst.
What about excluding certain events from being dropped in future, for example to help SJ, or if F'ton were to organize a regional?

Nice idea, but if that's the one event I can't make due to work, or weddings, etc, then I'll lose 2 events even if I make it to all but 1. I used myself as an example, but generally, I mean anyone, I just knew I wouldn't complain about being used as an example. Joel would. :roll: :orglaugh:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:08 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Double points to help an event? Thinking like Bernie now.

Really, I'm just throwing out ideas. Better now than in the meeting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:34 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Evan Williams wrote:
Double points to help an event? Thinking like Bernie now.

Really, I'm just throwing out ideas. Better now than in the meeting.

Only if we all get to use the same set of tires 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:12 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I like the idea of drop weekends. It was done in Karting and it made it a lot closer at the end of the year.

2017 Jack Canfield Memorial 3 Hour Enduro - 1st Overall
2019 CASC-OR Celebration of Motorsport - 1st GT2
NBSCC Race Director

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:08 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Matthew Trivett wrote:
I like the idea of drop weekends. It was done in Karting and it made it a lot closer at the end of the year.

I woundnt use the words Dropped weekends. I can see people getting it all conflustered..... Just 1 event.

Evan, we use to do double points for race weekend, try and get people out to the first event. Not sure how it would work with the time attack points, but if there was a event, that was concerned about attendants, then a double point event would be better to instate then no dropped events. Would suck if that was the event you had to drop, but its a idea for the AGM.

AX-1995 Honda Civic CX FSP
RR-1995 Honda DelSol VTEC GT4
2009 Canadian Solosprint Champion.
ARMS Race Director. Race@armsinc.ca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:23 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I originally planned to be there but I have to back out due to work. Sorry folks, have a great time.

#20 Scion FR-S 6MT Powered by:
Great North Performance, Morine's Towing Performance & Off Road, Jani-King Canada and Blue Buzzard Performance Parts.

2013+14+15 Atlantic Sports Car Club Overall Autocross Champion
2013+14+15 Atlantic Region Motor Sports Overall Autocross Champion
2017-18 BAC Overall Rallycross Champion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:50 pm 
ARMS Secretary
ARMS Secretary

Dev wrote:
I originally planned to be there but I have to back out due to work. Sorry folks, have a great time.

Give someone your proxy vote!

'01 DHG Mustang Bullitt #16
'22 Golf R

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:31 pm 
ARMS Secretary
ARMS Secretary

Anyone that cannot attend the ARMS AGM in Moncton, please consider filling out a proxy and giving it to someone that will attend. The proxy form can be found here:

http://www.armsinc.ca/applications/proxy.pdf

'01 DHG Mustang Bullitt #16
'22 Golf R

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:36 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

That's a good idea. I won't be going to the ARMS AGM either. If I get somebody to proxy vote for me, is it basically just giving them an additional vote? Or is there some way in advance we can know what exactly what we are voting on?

If somebody could proxy for me, send me a PM!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:45 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Dave Hull wrote:
Rather than dropping events or using double points I think that the Time Attack style scoring is the fairest method of scoring for all.

I must have missed this, but to me they were 2 separate issues. I think the time attack system is definitely more interesting but I wouldn't agree that if we adopt it we shouldn't drop any events. I'm not for any doublepoints either, as Brian said if that is the one you miss you're still screwed.

Dropping one event (if we have a reasonable amount, 7 or more?) is what I would like to vote for, unfortunately by proxy. I just think not dropping sucks for those who want to compete but are unable to make every event. This isn't professional racing, things get in the way sometimes. And for those who can make it to every event they get the chance to increase their standing. For people who care about points, I can't see them skipping anything before the last event, especially if you go with time attack style scoring. For those that don't care, will not dropping an event really change anything?

Dave Hull wrote:
The reason we went away from dropping events was that very few say from Halifax would travel to an event in Fredericton or Saint John if you were allowed to drop 1 or 2 events. The same would hold true for travel in the other direction as well.

Stats from this year. Numbers may not be 100% accurate. Only includes timed entries with an ARMS membership.

-8 people went to all 8 events (7% of 115 total unique entries).
-18 people went to 7 events (16% of 115)

-21 entries in all 4 NB events. 39 did 3/4.
-11 NS club members attended all NB events. 19 did 3/4.
-10 NB club members attended all NB events. 20 did 3/4.

-15 entries in all 4 NS events. 27 did 3/4.
-15 NS club members attended all NS events. 25 did 3/4.
-0 NB club members attended all NS events. 2 did 3/4.

It already hasn't held true in 2014.

On a positive note, average attendance has been going up. 30 in 2011, 31 in 2012, 35 in 2013 and 44 in 2014. Even if you exclude nats/SJ the 2014 average is still 35.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:57 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Evan Williams wrote:
The other thing that seems to be more common with the new system is "show up and win 1 event, beat 30 guys who showed up for every event in the overall points." Is that an issue?

Just saw this now, but that's racing.

To give you an example:

Schumacher was injured in 1999, and Mika Salo came in to replace him. Salo scored two podiums and finished the year in 10th overall, beating over half of the drivers who had raced the entire season. Such was the draw.

It's also not uncommon in Junior Formulae to have various drivers (red bull does this a lot) jump into another series when they have a chance for the odd race or two. In some cases, those drivers have won and therefore, beaten a large chunk of the field.

I guess it's no different than Hockey. If I only play 1 game in the NHL, but score a hat-trick, I may well score more goals in that season than some players do all year...

NBSCC Race Director

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:14 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Dave wrote:
The reason we went away from dropping events was that very few say from Halifax would travel to an event in Fredericton or Saint John if you were allowed to drop 1 or 2 events. The same would hold true for travel in the other direction as well.

I don't think that's good logic. If you miss a event you're (almost) out of the running. Therefore you're less likely to attend all following events. There are a lot of ways to look at it. My vote would be for dropping worst event.

#20 Scion FR-S 6MT Powered by:
Great North Performance, Morine's Towing Performance & Off Road, Jani-King Canada and Blue Buzzard Performance Parts.

2013+14+15 Atlantic Sports Car Club Overall Autocross Champion
2013+14+15 Atlantic Region Motor Sports Overall Autocross Champion
2017-18 BAC Overall Rallycross Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:16 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Dev wrote:
Dave wrote:

I don't think that's good logic. If you miss a event you're (almost) out of the running. Therefore you're less likely to attend all following events. There are a lot of ways to look at it. My vote would be for dropping worst event.

Plus it looks like almost nobody is travelling from NB anyway.

Edit: Says the guy who won't be travelling anywhere next year. :oops: (Unless SJ and Freddy Beach do a back to back weekend).

Last edited by Evan Williams on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:17 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Evan Williams wrote:
Dev wrote:
Dave wrote:

Almost nobody ;)

NBSCC Race Director

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:53 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Evan Williams wrote:
Dev wrote:
Dave wrote:

Edit: Says the guy who won't be travelling anywhere next year. :oops: (Unless SJ and Freddy Beach do a back to back weekend).

...responding to the NB comment above

I have to say that when coming from Saint John or Fredericton, Digby events are by far the hardest to get to / most expensive. It's a minimum three day endeavour to get two days of competing with either very expensive and poorly scheduled ferry ride(s) or seven hour drives each way, and both choices get you home after midnight unless you take a second vacation day and third night in a hotel.

It's the price I pay because of the car I choose to drive, but driving to Digby is roughly $200 round trip for gas alone.

HRM events are reasonable, PEI is reasonable, Digby is a challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:21 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Scott Montgomerie wrote:

Dropping one event (if we have a reasonable amount, 7 or more?) is what I would like to vote for, unfortunately by proxy. I just think not dropping sucks for those who want to compete but are unable to make every event. This isn't professional racing, things get in the way sometimes. And for those who can make it to every event they get the chance to increase their standing. For people who care about points, I can't see them skipping anything before the last event, especially if you go with time attack style scoring. For those that don't care, will not dropping an event really change anything?

Dave Hull wrote:

Stats from this year. Numbers may not be 100% accurate. Only includes timed entries with an ARMS membership.

-8 people went to all 8 events (7% of 115 total unique entries).
-18 people went to 7 events (16% of 115)

-21 entries in all 4 NB events. 39 did 3/4.
-11 NS club members attended all NB events. 19 did 3/4.
-10 NB club members attended all NB events. 20 did 3/4.

-15 entries in all 4 NS events. 27 did 3/4.
-15 NS club members attended all NS events. 25 did 3/4.
-0 NB club members attended all NS events. 2 did 3/4.

It already hasn't held true in 2014.

On a positive note, average attendance has been going up. 30 in 2011, 31 in 2012, 35 in 2013 and 44 in 2014. Even if you exclude nats/SJ the 2014 average is still 35.

Interesting numbers you have above. I see you consider Slemon a NB event even though it's held in PEI (I can see your reasoning, but to be fair it's an out of town event for 90% of competitors ;)

I was still very new to this when ARMS decided to do away with dropping events, and Dave's correct on the reasoning - reward those who put in the effort to travel and encourage attendance at all events from the top drivers who were in the running for a championship. Having said that - I think you're right Scott. I think competition across the region (especially with the big paxed/combined classes as we had this year) is strong enough that if a driver is in the hunt they will want to make every single event. There were dominant seasons in half of the class championships but the overall came down to a final event.

Personally 2014 was a tough year me to find time for any events, and I don't know what 2015 will be like either.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:59 pm 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

CharlesK wrote:

Interesting numbers you have above. I see you consider Slemon a NB event even though it's held in PEI (I can see your reasoning, but to be fair it's an out of town event for 90% of competitors ;)

I was still very new to this when ARMS decided to do away with dropping events, and Dave's correct on the reasoning - reward those who put in the effort to travel and encourage attendance at all events from the top drivers who were in the running for a championship. Having said that - I think you're right Scott. I think competition across the region (especially with the big paxed/combined classes as we had this year) is strong enough that if a driver is in the hunt they will want to make every single event. There were dominant seasons in half of the class championships but the overall came down to a final event.

Personally 2014 was a tough year me to find time for any events, and I don't know what 2015 will be like either.

Yes Slemon is an out of town event for 90% of competitors but it is hosted by NB. Digby is also an out of town event for 90% of competitors but is hosted by NS. As such they make sense as Scott has them listed.

I have to put my little support in for Digby. It is just as close for me as Sackville is. You could do better though if you wanted to come to the Greenfield airport again. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:00 pm 

Last time I approached Greenwood (3-4yrs ago) they wouldn't return my calls/emails.
Years before that 2006(?) it was a firm no.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:24 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Jason Smith wrote:
Last time I approached Greenwood (3-4yrs ago) they wouldn't return my calls/emails.
Years before that 2006(?) it was a firm no.

Nick is talking about Greenfield on the south shore. Dragstrip/runway

2007 Mustang GT
Kentville

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:56 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

I am sure he ment greenfield. We ran there before, 2006 maybe even 2007. Not a bad spot but the drag racers were first and they were tring to buy it at one point I believe. It's not as nice as digby and not that much closer. Just doesn't make sence in my mind to go there. Unless we lost digby.

AX-1995 Honda Civic CX FSP
RR-1995 Honda DelSol VTEC GT4
2009 Canadian Solosprint Champion.
ARMS Race Director. Race@armsinc.ca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:15 pm 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

That's right I said Greenfield, AKA South Shore Regional Airport. And yes it is home to the drag racers, but no they are not trying to buy it. The Drag racers have it booked for 5 weekends each year. That's already too much for the handful of pilots that use it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:59 pm 

Sorry misread that....

The NSDRA were very helpful in us being able to use Greenfield in the first place, however the municipality wanted more money from us.
Out of the blue they raised the price to $5000 for a weekend (from $500).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:21 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Helmets came up at the ASCC meeting last night and there seemed to be confusion on expiry of Snell 2000 helmets. According to SCCA Nov fasttrack:

Quote:
#15062 Helmets
Per 4.3.1, Snell 2000 helmets are considered compliant for 2015. Snell 2015 helmets will be considered compliant when they become available

Anyone know if ASN plans to follow suit?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:45 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Scott Montgomerie wrote:
Helmets came up at the ASCC meeting last night and there seemed to be confusion on expiry of Snell 2000 helmets. According to SCCA Nov fasttrack:

Quote:
#15062 Helmets
Per 4.3.1, Snell 2000 helmets are considered compliant for 2015. Snell 2015 helmets will be considered compliant when they become available

Unless there is a delay in the Snell 2015 spec release, I can't see why the current expiry dates would change. That, and if you have a Snell 2000 helmet, it was manufactured at least nine years ago.

2007 Mustang GT
Kentville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:48 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

On the topic of what other areas are doing, is there any word nationally about this change from CASC OR
http://www.casc.on.ca/sites/default/files/asbulletin1-14-sponsortires.pdf

Additional Allowances:
In additional to the published rule Appendix E 13.3A1 stating a 200 treadwear limit for tires
eligible for the 2015 season (currently 140TW for 2014), the following allowance is added:
The following tires below the 200 treadwear limit are permitted in 2015 onwards:
Toyo R1R
Yokohama AD08
Yokohama AD08R
Background:
Toyo and Yokohama have supported CASC­OR autoslalom with sponsorship funds and
contingency winnings for competitors. While a competitive choice, they have not shown
performance or street manners inconsistent with the intent of the Street & Street Touring classes.
This bulletin will maintain the relationship with our sponsors and provide competitors the chance
to continue to compete for contingency winnings from 2015 onwards.

Appears like Yoko and Toyo don't plan a Canadian 200 treadware tire yet.

2007 Mustang GT
Kentville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:28 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Brent O'Connor wrote:
Scott Montgomerie wrote:

Quote:
#15062 Helmets

Unless there is a delay in the Snell 2015 spec release, I can't see why the current expiry dates would change. That, and if you have a Snell 2000 helmet, it was manufactured at least nine years ago.

Looks like the Snell 2015 release date isn't until Oct 2015, so I can see why they would move the date forward. I was under the impression that the helmets would be available at the beginning of the season.

That said, Snell gives the following guidance in their press release about the new standard:

http://www.smf.org/standards/sa/2015/SA2015releaseNotes.pdf

"Our advice to Safety Inspectors and Racing Authorities is that they continue to accept helmets in
good condition and certified either to the current or immediately previous Snell standard. At this
time, SA2010 is the current Snell standard and SA2005 is the immediately previous.

Snell urges everyone to replace their Snell certified helmets routinely no later than five years
after the helmet is first worn. However, even by this conservative advice, many current SA2010
certified helmets still have years of service in them. Unless a helmet has been damaged, or has
five or more years of use, or is no longer accepted by safety inspectors or track authorities, there
may be no need to replace it.

Please direct any questions, comments and requests for copies of the SA2015 Standard to
info@smf.org or call 916-331-5073."

Food for thought...

2007 Mustang GT
Kentville

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:50 am 
ARMS AutoSlalom Director
ARMS AutoSlalom Director

Brent O'Connor wrote:
Looks like the Snell 2015 release date isn't until Oct 2015, so I can see why they would move the date forward. I was under the impression that the helmets would be available at the beginning of the season.

Helmets with the new standard don't come out until late in the year. The 2000s already got extended, so I don't see them being legal for 2015.