The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deep sump kit for 987.1
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:45 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Hiya, looking for some advice from someone who's run a Porsche Cayman S (987.1, M97) out at AMP. I've already bought a third rad, low temp thermostat, and an under drive pulley so now I'm looking to address oil starvation issues. I posted on Planet9 and got a lot of great advice on what I need to do to get the car ready for HPDE days.

It seems more went for the Mantis kit, but the two options that keep coming up are these:

1997 - 2008 Oil Sump Extension Kit - 2 http://www.mantissport.ca/ProductPortfo ... fault.aspx
Leaning towards this kit. They've logged a ton of hours in their Cayman race car and provided oil pressure data to the public.

https://lnengineering.com/2qt-deep-sump ... affle.html
The other option that comes up a lot. Bilt has not released any data.

Both are very different designs to solve the same problem. The Mantis kit does it all with the pan design where the LN kit uses it's depth and a different baffle. Mantis says the X51's metal baffles can leak and doesn't prevent sloshing as well as their design does.

Does anyone have any insight on which of these kits would be best for our track?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:48 am 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Hey Jon,
I've an FRS, also with a Boxer engine and also has oil starvation issues, but... this is only a problem when sustaining a consistent 1.7 Gs for a long time - like at a long fast track in a high speed corner. We don't have such corners at AMP. Also this is typically a problem when you're using slicks and tons of aero. So I'd be very surprised if a Cayman S would have oil starvation issues on street tires, especially at our track. Wouldn't be much of a sports car if you needed all these mods just to take it lapping.

If you're looking to talk to some Cayman owners who run at AMP, get in touch with the Atlantic Region PCA.

2020 JCM 1st place

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:57 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Hello Jon,

While i do not have a Cayman, i have installed a few of the Mantis kits on Caymens. Both owners found no issues with there systems. Super nice kit to put on. Neither of them had any issue prior, they both just wanted the peace of mind.

AX-1995 Honda Civic CX FSP
RR-1995 Honda DelSol VTEC GT4
2009 Canadian Solosprint Champion.
ARMS Race Director. Race@armsinc.ca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Nickoli Roussakov wrote:
this is only a problem when sustaining a consistent 1.7 Gs for a long time - like at a long fast track in a high speed corner

Thanks for the specifics on what to look out for! Some of the guys on Planet 9 said long left sweepers are the worst for these engines. We don't really have any of those but I'm making a few road trips this year to other tracks. I'm going back to Calabogie and I want to check out Mont Tremblant if I can find an opening.

Joel N wrote:
Neither of them had any issue prior, they both just wanted the peace of mind.

That's really what I'm going for. The kits aren't that expensive and it's worth the price to feel more confident I'm not going to blow the engine. I may replace the AOS with a new OEM one. I don't have any issues but it seems like a worthwhile purchase for $100. The Motorsports one is pricey so I'm only going to buy it if I start seeing smoke.

I haven't decided on what rubber I'm going to run yet but it won't have street tires for long. I bought stainless steel brake lines, GT3 front brake ducts, 997 rear brake ducts, Carbotech XP10/8 pads, Castrol SRF brake fluid, new spark plugs, a K&N air filter, and the FF engine mount inserts. PSS9's and sway bars will follow next season once I get a better feel for the car.

Thanks for the replies! Can't wait to hit AMP in it this year :D