ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:29 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I'm looking to add two fire extinguishers to my car - A trunk mounted 5 lb, and a cabin mounted 2.5 lb.

For the 5 lb unit, I have found a robust mounting solution at MicMac Fire protection, linked below:

https://mmfss.ca/product/vehicle-bracke ... ia-shells/

For the 2.5 lb unit, however, I have only seen the less secure single strap mounts like this one from The Tool Shed

https://www.thetoolshedsales.ca/product ... le-bracket

Does anyone have any input on the smaller extinguisher mounting? Would the single strap model be sufficient? Is there another source where I might find a solution similar to the 5 lb one I linked below, but for smaller diameter shells?

Thanks!

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:48 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

We just went through this in rally because CARS now requires double-strap mounting mechanisms.

I did a group buy of 2.5LB Amerex double strap brackets from AZE (https://www.azeperformance.com/) earlier in the year. They're made for 3" Bottles but can be very slightly modified to fit ~3 1/8" bottles. Have two in our rally car and they're quite secure and handled Rallye Baie des Chaleurs last month without an issue even with some big hits.

This is the bracket, but they're far cheaper from AZE: https://www.amazon.ca/Amerex-817S-Vehic ... B00F5CKIN2

Having said that, we ran a single strap metal bracket that came with our Garrison 2.5LB bottles for 5 years over hundreds of rally kilometres and there was never an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:10 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Thanks for the feedback Gordon.

I could probably run one of the Garrison ones with the metal bracket in the cabin:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garri ... p.html#srp

Then go with the beefier setup from MicMac with a 5 lb unit for the trunk. Over the winter I could then replace the Garrison bracket with the two strap mount you linked to.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:21 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

That's the one we were running for years, it never moved, even in some big bumps and one significant physics incident. I actually have few of those brackets left over if you want one to dismantle for the second strap since I had to replace them with the doubles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:43 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I have 3 of the ones from AZE that Gordon is referring to. I did not use them, and I would sell if your interested.

"On snow or ice or gravel, we all know that a car will not stop or steer. And yet rally cars do both of these things. That means the whole thing is sorcery, and the people who do the driving must be witches." - Jermy Clarkson.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:59 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Thanks guys. I'd be happy to take one of them off your hands Wayne.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:38 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Mike Hiscott wrote:
Thanks guys. I'd be happy to take one of them off your hands Wayne.

pm sent.

"On snow or ice or gravel, we all know that a car will not stop or steer. And yet rally cars do both of these things. That means the whole thing is sorcery, and the people who do the driving must be witches." - Jermy Clarkson.