ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:49 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

PSA: $50 deposit is REQUIRED to secure your spot. This is refundable until May 1st. See below for registration details.

This will be the only ASCC school for 2018.

It’s that time again! The ASCC High Performance Driving School for 2018 will be held during the long weekend on Sunday May 20th and Monday May 21st, 2017. This session is open to anyone who wants to learn some of the more advanced techniques and track safety to qualify for a Lapping card or Time Attack license for the 2018 season. A lapping license is required to attend any ARMS lapping events, and a Time Attack License is required for the 2018 ARMS time attack series that will take place in June, July and September.

1. ABOUT THE SCHOOL

The High Performance Driving School will take place starting with a evening classroom session on Sunday May 20th followed by an all day track session at Atlantic Motorsport Park on Monday May 21st. This course consists of a classroom session instructing students on the theory and physics of high performance driving as well as track safety. The following day consists entirely of on-track activities with small groups of students paired to experienced instructors.

We have 30 spots total.

2. COST

The school will cost $280. If signed off by an instructor at the end of the school, this also includes a lapping or time attack license. In addition, if you are not a member of an ARMS club an additional $30 is required to purchase a membership. A lunch will be included on the 21st.

3. WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING

A safe street vehicle. If your vehicle can pass MVI it should be OK for the on-track sessions. Vehicles will be inspected for suitability (Brakes, Tires, etc) prior to the session. It is highly recommended that you flush/bleed brake fluid before the event and do not use pads at less than 50% thickness.

Convertible vehicles are NOT permitted without adequate rollover protection, factory rollover protection is not enough so please check with the organizers. Please contact the organizers with questions regarding vehicle suitability. Students will be asked to complete a self-inspection checklist provided prior to the course.

A Snell 2005M or newer 'M' rated helmet is acceptable, provided the car is not equipped with a roll cage. Cars with rollcages will require a Snell 2005 or newer 'SA' rated helmet. ‘DOT’ helmets are not approved. If you have an SFI or FIA rated helmet it may qualify, please ask.

If you do not have access to a helmet please contact the organizers as loaner helmets may be arranged with advance notice. ASCC has a very limited number of loaner helmets so it is first come, first serve.

4. WHAT YOU NEED TO FILL OUT

Below are the forms you need to read, understand and fill out for this school. PLEASE TRY TO HAVE THESE FORMS FILLED OUT FOR THE CLASSROOM SESSION. If you have any questions just ask.

A. SoloSport Self Tech Form must be filled out and completed

B. License Application Form (Leave instructor only section blank)

C. Club Membership Application (If not an ARMS member for 2017)

For ASCC you can also get a membership online here: http://www.ascc.ca/?page_id=423

5. LAPPING/TIME ATTACK RULES

It is also recommended that you take a look at the rules/regulations for Lapping and Time Attack:

ASN Canada FIA Lapping Regulations

ASN Canada FIA Time Attack Regulations

Information regarding rollover bars Appendices C & D, starting at page 106
(please inform us if you plan to use a convertible for the school, most convertibles do not meet our safety requirements)

For the school a fire extinguisher is not required.

Any questions please email hpds@ascc.ca, post here or send myself a private message

Completion of this High Performance Driving School AND instructor signoff qualifies participants for an ARMS Lapping and/or Time Attack license allowing you access to the many lapping and solo competition sessions at Atlantic Motorsport Park throughout the year. The cost of this license is included in your school entry.

6. REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT

To register for the school please email the following information to hpds@ascc.ca:

- Name
- Phone Number
- Email address for contact
- Make/Model/Year of vehicle and modifications
- Is your car a convertible (Yes / No)
- Previous motorsports/driving school experience with summary details (e.g. BMW school, previous HPDS, x years of AutoSlalom)

A $50.00 deposit is required to reserve your entry. Deposits or full payments can also be made via interac e-transfer. Cheques payable to ASCC can be mailed to ASCC, Box 31120, Halifax NS, B3K 5Y1, ATT Debbie Miller. They can also be dropped off in person at any of the ASCC club meetings. Second tuesday of every month, 7:30pm @ The Riverside Pub in bedford.

DO NOT SEND A DEPOSIT IF I HAVE NOT SENT YOU AN EMAIL TELLING YOU YOU'RE IN THE SCHOOL.

DEPOSITS MUST BE RECEIVED TO GUARANTEE YOUR SPOT.

Please keep in mind that Sunday evening during the classroom session is a busy time so the more prepared you arrive (membership already purchased and forms filled out ahead of time) the smoother and quicker the evening will go! Our goal is always to try and get you out of the classroom at a reasonable hour so that you may have a full nights rest before the following track day!

All Schools are first come - first served! Reserve your spot today!

We look forward to seeing everyone at the Track!

Last edited by Scott Montgomerie on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Is the requirement for Snell SA while on slicks new? What defines a slick? Treadwear and/or tread pattern?

#20 Scion FR-S 6MT Powered by:
Great North Performance, Morine's Towing Performance & Off Road, Jani-King Canada and Blue Buzzard Performance Parts.

2013+14+15 Atlantic Sports Car Club Overall Autocross Champion
2013+14+15 Atlantic Region Motor Sports Overall Autocross Champion
2017-18 BAC Overall Rallycross Champion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

That's a typo for the HPDS, actually. The slicks part is specifically for the time attack regs and they are referring to non-DOT slicks (ie not treaded rcomps or hoosier A7/R7). Per TA rules, slicks require rollcages, and rollcages require an SA rated helmet.

As a general rule, if tubing extends into the front seat area we will require SA. At that point the car also needs a proper 5/6pt harness for both seats. For just rollbars the OEM 3pts are ok, no 4-points. I would still recommend an SA helmet, harnesses and HANS anytime there is tubing in the car regardless of what the rules allow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:16 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Thanks Scott.

#20 Scion FR-S 6MT Powered by:
Great North Performance, Morine's Towing Performance & Off Road, Jani-King Canada and Blue Buzzard Performance Parts.

2013+14+15 Atlantic Sports Car Club Overall Autocross Champion
2013+14+15 Atlantic Region Motor Sports Overall Autocross Champion
2017-18 BAC Overall Rallycross Champion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:42 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Is the Sunday night classroom at the track?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:29 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

No, it will be a sureshot in bedford.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:40 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

A list of everyone current registered and whether or not we've received a deposit. If you've sent it and it's not showing as paid here after a couple days, get in touch with me.

If you aren't on the list/didn't get a reply within 24hours of sending the email, I probably didn't get it.

1. Julien M - Volvo C30, Deposit paid
2. Alex R - Volkswagen Jetta, Deposit paid
3. Ross B - BMW 325is, Deposit paid
4. Chris W - Focus ST, Deposit paid
5. Peter D - Porsche 911, Deposit paid
6. Ian S - Subaru WRX, Deposit paid
7. Mohamed T - Subaru WRX, Deposit paid
8. Vince W - Chevrolet Cobalt, Deposit paid
9. Julian N - Datsun 240z, Deposit paid
10. James F - Audi S4, Deposit paid
11. Allen M - Mini Cooper S, Deposit paid
12. Jamie C - Honda Civic, Deposit paid
13. Robert B - BMW M3
14. Brandon D - Subaru Impreza
15. Zack M - Mini Cooper S, Deposit Paid
16. Cheryl O - Scion FRS, Deposit paid
17. Derek U - Ford Mustang, Deposit paid
18. Tyler P - Subaru Impreza, Deposit paid
19. Marc V - Scion tC, Deposit paid
20. Ryan Z - Honda Civic, deposit paid
21. Daniel J - Volkswagen GTI, deposit paid
22. Jessica B - Volkswagen GTI, deposit paid
23. Justin L - Chevrolet Corvette, deposit paid
24. Cory G - BMW 335i, deposit paid
25. Robbie H - Audi A4, deposit paid
26. Chris M - Mercedes C63, deposit paid
27. Curran A - Mazda Miata, deposit paid
28. Darren D - Jetta TDI, deposit paid
29. Daniel H - 2017 Cherokee SRT, deposit paid
30. Logan W - Subaru STI, deposit paid

Last edited by Scott Montgomerie on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:21 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

So it filled up fast. I'll still take people for the waitlist, last year 5-6 people from the waitlist moved to the entrylist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:03 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Scott Montgomerie wrote:
So it filled up fast. I'll still take people for the waitlist, last year 5-6 people from the waitlist moved to the entrylist.

Can you put me down for the wait list?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:45 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

List is up to date. For anyone that hasn't paid a deposit yet you have until April 20th to do so, then I will go to the waitlist. You should already have gotten emails from me.

I'm also looking for marshals for both the HPDS (9-4ish, lunch included) and the race practice (5-8ish). Looking for around 6 people for the school and 2-3 for race practice, but I will never turn down having extra corners covered. Anyone helping will get an ASCC event credit of $40. You don't need to have previous marshaling experience, if you've done a track day you'll have the knowledge we need to do HPDS marshaling.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I'm going to be there. I want to do some shooting but I can definitely help out as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:14 am 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Great turnout! Unfortunately I'll be away on work during the school otherwise i would of loved to have been an instructor.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:19 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Still looking for marshals...I've got one maybe so far for the school itself. Need at least 5:

-Start/Finish
-Turn 2
-Turn 5
-Turn 9
-Turn 11

Gordon S. wrote:
I'm going to be there. I want to do some shooting but I can definitely help out as well.

Are you planning to shoot racecars or streetcars? I could always use a marshal for the evening practice, but I'd need someone on the stands fulltime.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:12 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I'll send you a PM on Facebook.