ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:57 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

It's been a long time since I was on track and today's experience was a blast!
The car was essentially flawless. The current generation of Mustang is a great car.
Real world mileage report:
Highway driving 10 - 11 lt/100 km
Mixed city highway 12 - 13 lt/100 km
AMP 30 lt/100 km :lol:
Thanks to th organizers, instructors, fellow students for being so friendly and supportive and of course the marshals and others beavering away in the background to make this a great day!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:47 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Holy crap! Your mileage is nearly identical to what I got in my Fiesta ST, in all three situations. 8O

Glad to hear you had a great time! I was in corner 5 throwing blue flags all day. :-P All you guys kept it pretty tame out there. For some really interesting driving, you should check out the races next weekend. We're always looking for extra flaggers, plus it's the best seat at the track :-)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:20 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Well! Personally, I am glad to hear how my mileage numbers compare!

5 would be a busy spot as folks conquered the roller-coaster at different times and start preparing to overtake on the backstretch. You did a great job in there.

Schools and lapping are, of course, not competitions, so tame is what we are looking for. The animals will hit the track next week 8O

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

That was a riot! Thanks to all the volunteers and instructors for an awesome day, particularly Mike for his patience in the passenger seat. I haven't checked mileage yet but after filling at the Esso on the way to the track I ran it all day and then drove 200 km home to NB and still had more than half a tank.

My front brakes didn't fare quite so well though - the pads were on the backing plates by the time I got home...

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Tyson MacCormack wrote:
My front brakes didn't fare quite so well though - the pads were on the backing plates by the time I got home...

Every session, after about your third lap, whenever you'd pop over the crest of the hill into one, there'd be a great big puff of brake smoke/dust. It was fun to watch from the turn one stand. Slightly less fun to smell :P

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:13 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

As a pit crew for the red Neon it was a fun day to watch. You could see many new drivers getting more and more comfortable with every session. Braking zones went from halfway down the front straight in the first session, to to top of the hill in the later sessions. for mileage, I think the neon also got around 30-40 l/100k. I was planning on checking the overall trip fuel economy once it got home, but the transmission let go on the drive back :(

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:49 am 
1st Gear
1st Gear

I had a blast, the whole day was great! Nice to meet some new people, and great to get on the track. Huge thanks to everyone who organised and ran the event, very much appreciated!

Now I have to get some more lapping in and go for that Time Attack card.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:58 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Evan Williams wrote:
Tyson MacCormack wrote:

Every session, after about your third lap, whenever you'd pop over the crest of the hill into one, there'd be a great big puff of brake smoke/dust. It was fun to watch from the turn one stand. Slightly less fun to smell :P

Sorry! The smell was pretty bad in the car too

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:21 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

It was a great day from a organizer point of view. Everyone did a great job on track. Weather stayed nice all day. Kinda funny to see everyone comparing fuel mileage, lol.
Hope to see everyone back out over the year. As i said in the end of day drivers meeting, I do not get out to many Lapping days due to Autoslalom and Race taking up so much time, But if you are looking for any help, just Email Myself or Scott. race@ascc.ca or solo@ascc.ca. We can try our best to get you setup over the year.

Thanks to all the marshals and pit-lain staff over the day. Made everything go so much smoother and all the instructors who made it out.

AX-1995 Honda Civic CX FSP
RR-1995 Honda DelSol VTEC GT4
2009 Canadian Solosprint Champion.
ARMS Race Director. Race@armsinc.ca

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:39 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Tyson MacCormack wrote:
I haven't checked mileage yet but after filling at the Esso on the way to the track I ran it all day and then drove 200 km home to NB and still had more than half a tank.

What were you driving? A Prius? 8O

I go through ~100L of fuel on any given track day.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:04 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I was also surprised at how little fuel I used - I certainly didn't feel like I was shooting for fuel economy but maybe Mike would argue that point!

The lapping also fixed my ABS, which had been dead for over a year. The red hot brakes must have burned the crud off of a dirty sensor. I usually pull the fuse at events anyway but it's nice not to have the dash warning light on.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:58 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Scott McIntyre wrote:
Tyson MacCormack wrote:
I haven't checked mileage yet but after filling at the Esso on the way to the track I ran it all day and then drove 200 km home to NB and still had more than half a tank.

What were you driving? A Prius? 8O

I go through ~100L of fuel on any given track day.

Remember Scott, most of these guys were running at 4-6 tenth of what there cars could do. Its a school, not a Time attack lol. As everyone progresses along with Lapping, they will find they use more and more fuel and less and less brakes.

AX-1995 Honda Civic CX FSP
RR-1995 Honda DelSol VTEC GT4
2009 Canadian Solosprint Champion.
ARMS Race Director. Race@armsinc.ca

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:07 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Thanks everyone for coming out. And thanks to all the instructors/volunteers/fellow organizers who helped this happen. We managed to stay on schedule the whole day and had no real incidents!

Like we said at the end of day driver's meeting, if you're interested in more events check our the AMP calendar: http://www.atlanticmotorsportpark.com/i ... /schedule/

Anything put on by AFRA or ARMS is open to those with a lapping/time attack license. There is also the option of MHPDC where I believe you buy a set # of days and pick/choose which dates you want to go to.

http://www.atlanticformularacing.com/
http://maritimehpdc.ca/

There will also be an ARMS time attack from September 8-10 this year. It's a whole different experience basically having the track to yourself to turn some fast laps.