ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:24 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director

Any thoughts on things to change for next year? Stick with one 2 day event, or do an extra one earlier in the year?
This year we lost money on the event even with Saturdays great turn out.
Also, competitor eligibility, instructor eligibility, etc. How can we make it easier to get involved?
Vehicle classing, should we have someone to help people properly class their cars if needed?

Also, the HP Solo Director is up for re-election! It's a 2 year term, I was just finishing off Jasons term.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:00 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Not surprised money was lost at the event.
I had a few ideas, but they all surrounded moving the Time Attacks to race weekends. Sharing cost idea. But within doing that, there are competitors who run both time attack and race, and both sports are low enough on entrance, so making people possible only do 1 or the other, isn't going to help. I would be willing to bet, some would run both still. lol.

I had a idea for classing in this area. since we only have a few competitors, Just run 7 classes.
FWD Street,
RWD Street,
AWD Street, All street classes run 200 treadwear and over tires. and must have a valid MVI, that would actually pass..

FWD Race,
RWD Race,
AWD Race, 199 Treadwear and under tires. Must be a DOT tire. No other rules.

Unlimited, Any tire, any setup.
Safety would have to be looked at as far as, what makes a Cage necessary. I think a quick look into NASA or SCCA would solve that question.

AX-1995 Honda Civic CX FSP
RR-1995 Honda DelSol VTEC GT4
2009 Canadian Solosprint Champion.
ARMS Race Director. Race@armsinc.ca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:18 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Definitely stick with one 2 day event, preferably with a practice day preceding it.

Would be good to promote it at all lapping days, maybe with flyers or something.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:38 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

My biggest thing is that I would move the main 2-day event to earlier in the year. By September/October people are usually out of money with bald tires and broken cars. (Or at least I was :-S)

Brian, I know you and I spoke of mixing a TA event into a race day. At that time, I think I still had last year's busy race day schedule in my head. Perhaps on a weekend when the formula cars aren't running, we could incorporate a low cost TA event, with 2 no passing sessions and one with passing. There's no major expense to run it that way, as the race insurance/track rental would cover things. Might also help to promote racing as well, simply by getting more "spectators" out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:03 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

It was labour day weeknd, the CAC moved slemon which moved the TA. Single day events are possible during the summer, but a weekend is going to be very hard to book at AMP with the car/bike races and private rentals.

If the date is set at the AGM/early in the year, the details should be out then. Might help if AT the HPDS we can advertise the time attack with a date and a place to register. Promote it more - not just a thread on here. Create a FB event through ARMS FB. If the solo director doesn't have the ability to do that, they should. That way we can share that to different groups. All that promotion is free and takes very little time to do. Maybe it only gets 1 or 2 extra people, but I know with slaloms it's at least made more aware that it exists.

In terms of instruction, can we have some sort of signoff for competitors who have done a couple lapping days and shown to be safe? Every year it's the same thing, the biggest school is in May but the TAs are usually late in the year. Anyone who gets interested mid year is usually told to wait until the next year.

At this year's price of $250/weekend, how many competitors are actually needed to break even? What costs could actually be shared with the racers if it was run on the same day?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:39 pm 

Hi Scott, yes, the advertising should have been much better, I apologize for that. But your points are all going to be considered for sure! Much appreciated!
As for the date, yeah, Slemon bumped us due to the Nationals. Best choice all things considered I guess.
The date was and will be set at the AGM, one could have paid or registered in advance, but not many are set up for that 5 months in advance. But, it could have been advertised there too, I personally wasn't there due to work, hopefully next year I'll have the support regs out earlier, or whoever is the director. As for the ARMS FB site, I don't have access to that, but I could have emailed and found out who does it guess. I'm not even sure if the HP Solo Director email goes to me....(it will now lol).

The upgrade suggestion, great one! We had an issue this year when one individual had last held his lapping license 2 years ago, so he could renew this year, but because lapping and Time Attack are different, it was suggested that this individual couldn't enter last minute. This individual has previously raced, taken courses at different tracks etc, but couldn't upgrade to a Time Attack license. Very frustrating!!! All because he checked the wrong box on the application forms. Lol. This suggestion is great!

Thanks again! Any interest in helping with the promotion for next year? :lol:
Also, 22 at $250 would have been enough to break even. We had a bunch just do the one day this year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:50 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Would having an HPDE/lapping day the same weekend as the (first) time attack work better for getting licenses issued? Kind of the same way that the first race school is held the Fri-Sat of the first race weekend, with the race on Sunday. Might get a few new people from "away" if they can get the license and then use it all in the same weekend. And a lapping day for those that already have a license would give them some time to test before doing the time attack (and maybe not as expensive as doing 2 days of TA).

And another vote for earlier in the year... my resources were all used up for the season by the time it came around this past season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:11 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

It would be perfect if we could schedule it on Labour Day weekend, with a practice on Friday, TA on Saturday & Sunday, then round out the weekend with the traditional AFRA lapping on Monday. Four track days in a row would be big incentive for travelers.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:49 pm 
ARMS Vice President
ARMS Vice President

Hey folks, I have access to the ARMS Facebook page and we can certainly get something sorted out as far as doing more on FB for our events we have. I'm still new at working with FB, so any suggestions are more than welcome!

On the license front, might it be possible to have a HPDS some Saturday prior to a race weekend mid season? Mix it in with lapping sessions or something? Might be a way of correcting that problem?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:22 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I was wondering if some of the issues with attendance this year, race events included was the chump series that never materialised. With the same problem of low numbers across the board in TA and race, were peoples resources spread even more thin with another event that we could hardly afford to pull off?