The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:47 am 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Hi all,
I'm starting this thread in hopes of generating some discussion around having a proper ARMS Time Attack 2016 season. Last year, like 3 people showed up and it broke the bank. This year, no wonder the organizers aren't doing it (I realize that there is one scheduled at the end of the race season, but for the duration of the summer, regular lapping and slalom are just pigs blood to a vampire; and I'm not quite ready logistically or financially to graduate to wheel-to-wheel).

I'd be interested to round up some folks who'd like to part take in this discipline this year (I believe we consistently need at least 12 to make ends meet). I wonder if we get enough people to commit to the series, then the organizers would be willing to throw some more TAs on the calendar.

I know Greg S. is cooking up a GT4 car (or somewhere in that class region), Mike B. in his ultra-light Nissan, Sipkema surely will show in at least a GT1 car (unless he plans to graduate to big boy Sunday racing this year), Raj was lovin it last year and will probably come again, I'd be there in GT1 (or GT4 in the multi-purpose junk Sentra that was abused in rally cross over the winter), Derrik Clarke has been a regular too, and Mr Barker in his GTR (hope it's not disassembled in many pieces this summer). Are you guys mentioned above interested, and is there anyone else who would be interested?

I wonder if we got a group and had a firm rule to pre-register, I.e. All online at least X days before the date, no same day at the track type of registrations, then perhaps we could have a TA championship this season?

I would also be interested in making the events more engaging for the spectators. I had a few friends show up last year to watch, but they said they were bored due to lack of announcements/sport score casting. I think we can make improvements here by tweeting/facebook posting unofficial lap times, as well as some driver/car pictures and interviews (just fun engaging stuff, e.g. How Sipkema is fast as hell in his RX7, but burns 3x the fuel Mike B does ;-) fun crap like that).

For those that are interested, but aren't sure you can commit due to financial priorities, here is a typical monthly TA budget:
- 230$ for each event (including the transponder).
- 40-80$ in fuel.
- Some money aside for wear and tear parts - like brake pads and bushings and possibly extra tires. This amount can be 0$ or can be thousands. You know your car best.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Positive ideas?

2020 JCM 1st place

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:41 am 
Infield Hooligan
Infield Hooligan

Nickoli, have you factored in Insurance for this type event?

For what it's worth...I have noticed that people who come out to lap usually get bored of that around 1 pm(they start sunbathing at that point) and maybe if a
time attack session was started at 2pm it could possible work financially. I know that the race car guys are usually screaming to get into the pits to set up for their
practice but !

It was fun while it lasted and your right...it could use some interaction with the crowds to keep things going.

Good Luck and keep me posted as I am always willing to hang out at AMP.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:20 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Interested... how many events are generally in a season? I will be there for the Oct 1-2 event but Im hoping to plan some other trips as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:34 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Nickoli Roussakov wrote:
I believe we consistently need at least 12 to make ends meet.

Twelve wasn't the breakeven point... It was the threshold for acceptable loss. :(

Personally, I don't have much interest in running a full TA season. But if it were compressed into a single Regional Championship (3-day) weekend, I'd be game.

Friday practice, Saturday TA, and Sunday TA. Just like the Nationals last year. Plus it'd also benefit those who need to travel from outside the region, like Hiscott.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:28 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

At $230 plus expenses per event, I most certainly wouldn't do a full season of events. I'm still a poor student after all :wink:

This season my goals with the car are to mainly get more seat time and learn amp. Keeping track of my lap times though an Android app will give me more feedback than TA will. I'll leave my competitive events to autocross and rallycross for now. I do want to at least get my TA license to keep my doors open

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:25 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Unfortunately i think the only way to ensure participation and to even have a series you would need to prepay for the season. Too many people pussout at the last minute. If you've already paid then you're going to make the effort to attend and if not the organization still has your money so nonworries on their part.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:54 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I think first we need to prove that we can hold a successful event in October after last years abysmal turnouts. Its a pain in the butt for the organizer to get marshalls, line up insurance, book dates, etc only to have to cancel because there is four confirmed entries. Honestly I loved the 3 day weekend event schedule, if that's all we do combined with me doing the odd autoslalom, I am good with that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:23 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director
ARMS Performance Solo Director

The only events scheduled this year is the first weekend in October, which we could possibly add the Friday with enough interest, and possibly the Saturday of the ARMS Race weekend in September. Again, it will depend on interest. Keep the thread going, this is how we find out about interest! Anyone thinking of entering, please let us know. We'll have a couple of polls closer to the season to see what the participants want regarding the Friday, and maybe a few other things.
And yes Nickoli, the 12 was still a loss I am pretty sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:59 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

In for potential Friday addition in October. Would be happy to prepay for any TA events.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:37 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

The cost/benefit ratio definitely didn't add up for many people, myself included, especially when there is the inevitable maintenance afterwards.

I agree with the single big weekend for TA once a year. That gives people a single event to focus on, especially if we can make it after the AutoX events in case some of them want to wander out. Assuming I can get my car capable of running, I would love to do it and I bet we could get more people from around the region to come down to a once-a-year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:17 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

At a ballpark cost of 600-700 for entry fee + consumables, doing more than one event in a year doesn't really interest me. It'd be ~2800 to do 4 events, assuming I break NOTHING. I also get bored quickly running hotlaps at AMP. This year TA money is going to racing stuff. If I have spare money after chumpcar I might still do the october weekend.

Definitely not interested in prepay, I much prefer to pay the day of. I've had sh!t come up literally the night before events and have had to cancel.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:26 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Unfortunately I can't do time attacks and race because of time and money. Getting in a few lapping days and autoXs in between races will be enough for me. Hoping to do the October weekend, but will have to see how the rest of the season goes first.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:26 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I'm in for whatever my work schedule allows. Lapping does get boring before long although I do enjoy the social aspect of it. Someone mentioned splitting the day up doing TA for 1/2 the day and lapping the other. I would suggest doing the TA in the AM.
If we are looking at putting something together we might consider getting everyone together that's willing to commit to some TA events and have a meeting to hash out a plan.
I won't be away nearly as much this year as last but still a majority of the summer. My employer supports hockey players not motorsports enthusiasts. :x
Although I'm putting a new LSD in the car it will certainly be ready for whenever the weather improves.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:40 pm 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

I would be in for combining it with lapping or race prep days. I do seem to recall we also had lapping available when HPDS was being held. It was with these drivers that I first heard about time attack. The most enjoyable time I recall was a few years back when we would have lapping with the race cars, or perhaps it was fitted into the race weekends (or maybe I wasn't supposed to be out with them lol) this may not be available now due to insurance, time available etc.

It seemed much more enjoyable and to have a crowd around whether they were racers, lapping or just spectators. Gave us all a chance to meet fellow enthusiasts.

I know for myself the indecision's of whether an event is going ahead or not up until the last minute, after setting up a car, can be quite frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:41 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Kathy and Graham Gardiner wrote:
I would be in for combining it with lapping or race prep days. I do seem to recall we also had lapping available when HPDS was being held. It was with these drivers that I first heard about time attack. The most enjoyable time I recall was a few years back when we would have lapping with the race cars, or perhaps it was fitted into the race weekends (or maybe I wasn't supposed to be out with them lol) this may not be available now due to insurance, time available etc.

It seemed much more enjoyable and to have a crowd around whether they were racers, lapping or just spectators. Gave us all a chance to meet fellow enthusiasts.

I know for myself the indecision's of whether an event is going ahead or not up until the last minute, after setting up a car, can be quite frustrating.

There was never lapping mixed in with the HPDS, unless it was before 2009 as I have been to everyone since then. You might be thinking about AFRA lapping school days.

the racers really enjoyed the lapping that went on during the raceday as it gave us a extra 30 MIN to prep and relax. But since spec miata has come along and the formula class, we have a hour race to race. That is perfect. lol.

I think the Time Attack in the morning and lapping the rest of the day is the only way to go. But its not going to solve the people problem for Time Attack. And since its still a competition day, prices will stay the same until numbers improve greatly. I would love to see a time attack event the sat before every race days. Unfortunately it just didn't work last year. And i cant see ARMS or any club wanting to take the money loss of trying it again anytime soon. I will bet we will have 1 time attack a year for a while now, unless people really start preregistering for events and we see 15 plus competitors. And not just claim they will. Lots of people claimed they would. But never did. I fully understand, life and work are priority. But when you say you are in for a full year, you need to be in in. Prepaid, and there for every day. When 5 people show, organizers just lose hope and dont want to keep going. Maybe organizers needed to be better. I am not sure why last year failed so well. I am hopping to run the 1 event again this year. Hoping to even use a different car as well. LOL

AX-1995 Honda Civic CX FSP
RR-1995 Honda DelSol VTEC GT4
2009 Canadian Solosprint Champion.
ARMS Race Director. Race@armsinc.ca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:02 am 
1st Gear
1st Gear

If there's a time attack event this year, I'm in. Take my money.

https://torusoft.com
902-442-9333

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:04 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Oct 1st+2nd.