ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:04 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I was just checking the CASC Time Attack Classification and they have changed the structure for PIP's relating to tires.

It used to be that it was assumed that R comps were being used and if anything else was being used you received negative PIP's which would lower you from the base car list class (-5 for non premium R and -10 for Street tires)

This no longer appears to be the case as now Street tires seem to be assumed for Base Car and non Premiums add +5, premiums add +10 PIPS from Base Class.

I'm not sure if they changed the base classes (lowered every cars starting point) to compensate or not but this could really screw up the first few events in terms of scoring if everyone shows up assuming they are in the same class as they were last year because no changes were made to the car.

Discuss...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:46 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Is it really worth digging into the rules that much? Granted we need a guideline but with only two events this year (can't imagine why), minimal numbers attending and no relevance to CASC why don't we just run, get timed, try to improve and have a blast?
Isn't that what grass routes motorsports is all about?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 am 

Rob Barker wrote:
Is it really worth digging into the rules that much? Granted we need a guideline but with only two events this year (can't imagine why), minimal numbers attending and no relevance to CASC why don't we just run, get timed, try to improve and have a blast?
Isn't that what grass routes motorsports is all about?

x2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

So since this seems not to be a competition does that mean the cost will be the same as a regular lapping day?
BTW aren't there 3 time attacks?

I have always been a proponent of few classes and hate PAX, so I'm game with FWD/RWD/AWD class system like the rally guys. However, I figured since there were some people who were upset about the classing last year, and that every event we are asked to appropriately class our vehicles on the CASC pip schedule online as that is what PAX is based on, that I would give everyone a heads up as to the changes.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:28 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

For a dentist, I would think that you need decent eyesight. I read the current regs as -10 pips for street rubber and -5 for non premium R compounds

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:04 pm 
ARMS Secretary
ARMS Secretary

Mike Benjamin wrote:
For a dentist, I would think that you need decent eyesight. I read the current regs as -10 pips for street rubber and -5 for non premium R compounds

The regs may read like that, but the CCDB car classing database actually adds pips for R-Comps!

Quote from CASC -OR Website:

"All cars requre a current car classification to be scored for the 2013 season as we have made a number of changes to the database. Most cars will not find a signficant change in the net classification from last year but how they get to the same performance index (PI) is new. You will find that all the Handling or Suspension indices are lower than last year but all cars have their base classification defined as having street tires (defined as DOT approved with treadwear ratings of 140 or more). R compound and Premium R compound tires are now positive "other" PIPs. It is no longer necessary to designate a class with the suffix "S" or "R".

If you have not changed your car from last year, your net performance index and class will not have changed unless you have one of the " Mole" cars which include various Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds and Nissan GTRs which have all had a relative increase in their respective handling indices. Also cars with a very high handling or suspension index will find that the suspension convergence factors do not change above the new Handling Index of 60."

'01 DHG Mustang Bullitt #16
'22 Golf R

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:21 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Alan Gray wrote:
Mike Benjamin wrote:

The regs may read like that, but the CCDB car classing database actually adds pips for R-Comps!

Keep trying Mike. You might get a valid burn on me at some point.