The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starter setup?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:41 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Hi all, I'm new here but looking for some information or advise about setting up a racing simulator. I'm not looking for state of the art, but something above console/gamepad level if that makes sense? I've read on here about a setup for an reactor 2 AMP, which I'm REALLY interested in!

What do I need as far as hardware, and what software do you all recommend? I'm not even remotely adverse to used gear, so if people know of sources of used gear, I"m also open to that. Don't want to spend a ton, and wondering if I can build something reasonable on a budget.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks
Joe

Post subject: Re: Starter setup?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Hi Joe. I have a Logitech G25 Racing Wheel I'd sell for $100.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Thought more would have chimed in by now.

For software there are a number of good sims. rfactor 2, Assetto Corsa, and iRacing would likely be good choices. rf2 and AC are good for offline, but the online racing can be hit and miss. If you want to race with others then iRacing is the way to go, but it a little more costly (subscription based and have to buy content) and is online only (no computer cars to race against, can test solo). Think you've already discovered that rf2 is the only real option at the moment if you want to drive AMP in a sim.

For hardware get a wheel (a gamepad/jockstick/keyboard doesn't feel like driving IMO). The G25/G27 seem to be a good consumer wheel. Need a good video card and cpu. Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest though (no need to spend thousands on a gaming rig). Somewhere around $150-$200 for video card (AMD or nvidia) and a mid range quad core would work well. Dual video cards is overkill and not all sims work well with them. RAM is not overly important (4g of normal RAM is plenty). Some people have bought $400-600 desktops on sale and then upgraded the video card ($200) and power supply ($100-150) and had a fairly good system. I've had good luck picking up used stuff (kijiji) as the serious gamers sell off their 'old' stuff when they upgrade, sometimes there are even complete systems at good prices. See the minimum and recommended specs for the above software. Most get away with a single desktop monitor, bigger is better but doesn't have to be anything fancy.

If you have a computer list its specs and can give an idea how well it would run a sim or want an opinion on a system before buying post the specs here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:23 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Thanks guys! That's a help for sure. I run a MacBookPro but also have an older PC laptop I use in the garage. My last desktop computer is still coal fired. I guess a laptop probably isn't optimal huh? In a perfect world, I'd run off a laptop that I would also use for my garage use (a couple of diagnostic programs, parts diagrams, etc).

I would definitely want to go with a wheel and pedals....I don't do well with buttons :D Thanks for the offer Scott, I'll definitely keep your wheel in mind!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:24 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Laptops are not ideal, generally speaking, but there are laptops that have the performance capability to run most sims. The issue there is you're likely going to be running in the $1200-1500 range for costs. If you do want to use a laptop, I would suggest getting a larger monitor to use while racing, because a 13-17" screen is simply not good enough for some of the more advanced sims.

The most important thing to remember if you are looking to run a laptop is to find one with a dedicated video card. This is an absolute requirement. It is also important to note which chipset the laptop has, as some discrete video cards on laptops are garbage.

Again, used monitors and performance laptops are not extremely hard to find on kijiji for a reasonable price, you just need to be prepared to dig for them. Let us know if you have any questions!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:18 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

Thanks Ryan! Yes, I was intending to use a large monitor or TV screen for anything, desktop or laptop. Just thinking if I could cover two bases with the same machine, it would be great, but may not be practical.

What are people using for pedals and shifter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:22 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Be careful with TVs because they usually don't have good response rates and may not have the nicest panels. Ideally, you'd want a monitor with a 5ms response or less. That said, you can get ultra wide monitors that have the appropriate response rate and they can give you some extra field of view at a decent rate.

Me, I have a G27 wheel and pedals for my racing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:08 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

A few of us really enjoy iRacing...especially during the winter months. It uses real tracks and real cars and it's real competition...which makes it very realistic. A few of us from ARMS race together in the 'Regulars' series.

If I were you, I'd beg/borrow/steal enough funding to put together a good starter setup. You won't regret it. With help from folks like Ken, Scott and Ryan, you'll be up to speed in no time.

I'm using Fanatec wheels and pedals, a Playseat and a basic PC (i5) with upgraded video card and triple monitors.

Below is a link for iRacing System Requirements:

http://www.iracing.com/membership/system-requirements/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:06 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

I used a TSW2 wheel/pedals that were converted to USB (not force feedback). On of the kids uses a G27 with shifter which seems to work quite well (I've only tried it a few times but he's put lots of time on it).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:29 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I was using my G25 wheel & pedal set until I upgraded to an OSW and PT-1 pedals.

For shifters, my G25 came with a stick shift but I have only ever used the paddle shifters on the wheel.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR