The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:20 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Backstory:

At some point in the not-too-distant future, I am planning to get an OSW kit to build a direct drive, servo motor simracing wheel. This means that I will need a steering wheel rim to mount on it. To get a proper race wheel (Momo, Sparco, etc) with added button plates and paddle shifters can be quite expensive. However some people have been simply converting Fanatec wheel rims for use on an OSW.

I personally wanted a formula rim, and Fanatec has a (now discontinued) CSR Elite rim for about half the price of their current Club Sport lineup. So I snatched up a Fanatec CSR Elite Formula rim before they eventually sell out. Actually, looking at the site where I bought mine, they've since doubled the price I paid: http://www.simulation1.ca/shop/formula- ... ite-wheel/ :(

Current day:

So I got my Fanatec CSR Elite Formula rim and figured I might as well try mounting it on my Logitech G25 until I eventually get an OSW. Figured I'd have to make an adapter plate and all sorts of other things to make it work. Little did I know how easy it would be!

First I took the rim apart and removed the wheel mount, trying to determine how to mount this thing on my G25. Here are the mount pieces separated from the rim.

Image Image

Could it be that the 6-bolt pattern matches that of the Logitech wheel?

Well, what do you know… It does! Haha.

So this negated the need to fabricate an adapter. It was a direct bolt-on. However, the Fanatec paddle shifters interfered with a couple humps on the Logitech steering column, so I had to take them off initially.

Then I got looking the stock G25 wheel rim and the electrical connectors for its two wheel buttons. They looked to be the same as the connectors for the Formula rim shifters. Hmmm... Could I simply plug the Formula shifters in the Logitech PCB in-place of the G25 wheel buttons?

Image Image

Worth a try!

Also, because of the humps on the Logitech steering column, I had to space the Formula rim shifters out a bit from the wheel mount using washers.

So I reattached the formula rim to its mount, plugged in the G25 and gave it a try....

Image Image Image

End result... It works!!! :super:

So now I have my Fanatec CSR Elite Formula rim mounted on my Logitech G25 wheel base with fully functioning Fanatec paddle shifters. :D

Only thing missing now is functioning wheel buttons. I have a Bodnar BU0836A-NC controller on order to address that, but that`s a topic for another day.

I gotta say I was really surprised how compatible this Fanatec CSR Elite Formula rim is with a Logitech G25 wheel base. It`s almost as though it was designed to be plug & play.

As for the wheel rim itself... I really like it! Feels great in the hands, paddle shifters are positioned perfectly, it`s a good quality / sturdy wheel rim. Very happy with it.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:53 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Nice looking wheel. Very surprised it was that easy to bolt on.

BTW I think you need a few more buttons near the wheel. I switched wheels a couple weeks ago and the only button I've assigned so far is the "push to talk". :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:13 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Haha. I have an assortment of "canned" text chat messages on my fancy $9 keypad on the left. And on the right I have an assortment of in-car controls on my $25 DIY button box. Things like fuel map +/-, traction control +/-, ABS +/-, brake bias +/-, black box previous/next, etc. They come in handy, especially in endurance races. If I try to use my keyboard while driving, I end up crashing. ;)

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:40 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Scott, how's the Talon coming along? :)

#51 Vantage Motorsports

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:42 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Brian Gay wrote:
Scott, how's the Talon coming along? :)