ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:19 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Why work on the real car when you can procrastinate while building a monitor stand for your virtual cars. ;)

I am attempting to build a quadruple monitor stand. Currently I have three of my monitors elevated on tangerine boxes on top of my desk, and the fourth sitting on an empty computer case behind them. It's quite unsightly. :orglaugh:

Here is a rendering of the basic design I will be following with a few changes and provisions for a 4th monitor on top of the middle one. It'll be made of tubular steel. I already have the materials, just need to start cutting, welding, and grinding.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:34 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Looks sturdy. Are you planning on using standard VESA mounts or making your own mounting plates?

What's this look like from the top? The sketch shown looks like the CoG is past the base (i.e it'll fall over). Or were you planning on bolting the base to the table?

Still planning to use the 4th monitor for your cheater apps, or are you going to just watch the clouds roll past. :wink: I've wanted to add a 4th below the center monitor so can set a realistic FOV and be able to look down to check the gages in the dash.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:29 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I'll be making my own mounts out of steel plates as I'm a cheap SOB.

I'll be using a different base configuration than the sketch. It'll be a "\_/" shape facing the front.

I use the 4th monitor for iSpeed and TeamSpeak. Plus I have iRaceDash running on my iPad. ;)

Stating with a 9" length of 2x2 square hollow steel tubing and a 6" length of [something smaller than slides inside] tubing.

Got most of the pieces chopped up.

Just need to cut some angled pieces for the base, then it's time to get welding!

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:19 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Making slow progress. It's taking more time that I though it would.

Had a bit of an issue the other day. I was using a 3" cut-off wheel on my electric die grinder when the wheel exploded and hit me square in the face. Thankfully I was wearing a safety shield, but it was enough force to split the shield and leave a nice be gouge in it. Felt like someone punched me in the face, but no injury other than a small scratch.

Looking a little closer, the cut-off wheel was rated for 22,000 RPM max, yet the die grinder can spin as high as 30,000 RPM unloaded. Oops! :oops:

Anyway, here is the monitor stand's current state... Partially tack welded together. Still got a fair bit to do, but at least the base is together.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:45 pm 
ARMS Secretary
ARMS Secretary

Goes to show how important safety gear is....on and off the track!

'01 DHG Mustang Bullitt #16
'22 Golf R

Last edited by Alan Gray on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:02 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Damn. Glad you're ok, and glad you wore proper PPE at home. Not very many people do.

We were having the same issue with sanding and grinding discs being used far beyond recommended speed. Then nobody could understand why the sanding drums were flying off into space every 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:34 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Looks good Scott!

In case you or others need more monitors :lol: , Dell has a sale on their refurbished items, plus get another 30% off by applying code 30HDJAN15.
Not sure how good these monitors are for gaming, but this one comes to ~$77 including tax+shipping:
http://dellrefurbished.ca/product/accessories/monitors/cataccmonitors//si6675935

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:04 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Yeah, a face shield is a must when using cut-off wheels or grinders. Had I only been wearing safety glasses, my face would be seriously messed up right now. 8O

Here are some work-in-progress photos...

Here it is put together for triples...

I mounted my monitors to it and have it temporarily setup on my desk now. It brought the monitors about 5" closer to my face. So now my three 27" monitors are 27" from my face, and my eyes are level with the center of the screen, which is about perfect. The iRacing FOV calculator puts me at 150°.

Next I have to build the section for the fourth monitor on the top. I need to take some measurements, figure out what angle I need, and buy some more steel.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:51 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Looks good. Needs paint though. Maybe see if Bruce has any Kubota orange left? :wink:

BTW glad you were wearing that face shield. A little safety gear like that can make what could be a life changing incident just an interesting little story.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:40 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I forgot to update this thread.

Although I've yet to clean up my sloppy welds and paint it, I do have the monitor stand complete and holding four monitors. Here are some pics:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:05 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Solid looking stand. Is that your normal FOV in the pictures? Looks very wide compared to what I'm using (I can't see the right side mirror in most tin tops).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:47 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Yes, that's my FOV. I used the calculator based on my monitor size, bezels, angle, and distance from screen.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR