ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:01 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I like Paul’s suggestions. I can understand the desire for a fixed setup, as sometimes I show up without a setup. Personally, I like the formula cars and road courses, but ovals would be a new, interesting experience. New road tracks that we haven’t run might be a refreshing challenge.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:22 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I'm up for anything. The CTS-v was actually quite fun to drive when we did that the other night.

MX-5 woul dbe fun for a night or two of laughs, but I don't think a full season with those would be great.

F3 is fun.
Porsche cup is dogshit with the baseline setup IMO. However, we could do what the Indy guys are doing right now and let one driver make a setup that everyone then has to use.
Skippy is hilarious.
Indycar is one of the best cars in iRacing atm, but also tricky to be quick in it.

I would also be open the Cayman or maybe the TCR.

2017 Jack Canfield Memorial 3 Hour Enduro - 1st Overall
2019 CASC-OR Celebration of Motorsport - 1st GT2
NBSCC Race Director

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:51 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Would like to do something past this season as well. Skippy or F3 would be good, something with a V8 is also appealing. Indycar might be a bit much and agree that MX5 would be a bit dull unless we had big fields. We could also try one car for a couple weeks, then pick another for a couple weeks until we're allowed out in the real world again. Throw an oval in there if it suits the car. I'm fine with fixed setups (not necessarily the default), I just want to get in and drive but no whinging about the set picked because what some will be comfortable with won't always suit others.

BTW how many have rfactor2 or AC?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:20 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

I wouldn't mind trying the F3 car, Cayman, or TCR, but really anything balanced will be good. I don't think we should do a car that is so difficult to drive really well that the better, more experienced guys here will walk away and it will hurt the competition. I think the GTE cars were really good racers as well. Seems every race you had a battle as long as you didn't mess up bad. Funny enough the Caddy was a really fun racer also. It did some odd things, and sounded kind of weird but I had a good time with it.

1999 BMW M Coupe #28 GT4 ARMS Road Racing
1995 BMW 318is #28 XS-A ARMS Autoslalom

http://www.isiautomotive.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:52 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

I agree, best is to have something driveable for everyone and not so setup dependent.
TCR may be fun, I haven't tried it. Caddy is fun, and decent to drive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:13 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

i liked the ctsv as well i believe its still on the old tyre model that alone makes it wicked fun, i think we should do a mix. v8`s for a couple weeks then maybe some open wheel? then maybe some mx5? keep it interesting. im not sure how much time you guys have to sim every week but im unemployed at the moment so i have free time :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:48 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

I currently rush home from work on tuesday, pile food into my face, and then fire up the pc and hope there aren't updates needed. So 2 hrs, maybe a bit extra per week. I did get some extra time in today, did a couple setup diy's for graphics, and did few races. The F Renault was a fun car to drive, the mx5 still sucks, and the ruf gt3 was a fun race at sebring. I'll prob get a few more laps in tomorrow morning before i head to the shop to self isolate on my car.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:47 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

So if you were going to pick 2 tracks to run the CTSV at which would they be?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:34 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

ctsv at road atlanta and vir would probable be fun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:39 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Ken MacKay wrote:

BTW how many have rfactor2 or AC?

I don’t have either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:02 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Should do something different, is Long beach a free track?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:51 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Long beach isn't free. Complete list of tracks (free ones tagged): https://www.iracing.com/tracks/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:26 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Why not do some track we don't often use?

Tsukuba maybe?
New Charlotte Roval, or Phoenix road course.

I dunno, anything different, kinda bored of most of the NA normal track we run all the time, but thats
just me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:28 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I would welcome learning some new tracks, so I wouldn’t mind purchasing them. I’m not sure if others feel the same, so please feel free to share your thoughts with Ken.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:53 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Congrats to Matt and Steve on the wins last night.

PS sorry about getting the race time of day wrong. Will check that Interlagos is set to run in the morning.
Attachment:
Event Result_Suzuka1.pdf [112.44 KiB]
Downloaded 213 times

Attachment:
Event ResultSuzuka2.pdf [112.51 KiB]
Downloaded 257 times

Last edited by Ken MacKay on Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:01 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Charlotte road would be good. Haven't tried Tsukuba but based on the description "Course 2000 is just over 2 KM in length and features 14 turns. " sounds like it could be entertaining. VIR is also fun, especially if start to use some of the different layouts.

Would be nice to try some different cars and tracks, though that starts to add up in iRacing quickly. Picked up AC a couple weeks ago, $45 for all the content (something like 170 cars and 20 tracks), plus there are literally hundred s of mods available for it, including AMP. Think when my current iRacing sub runs out in a month I'll be giving that a try. Been finding iRacing frustrating lately.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Congrats to Steve on his awesome win...started last, finished first!

Ken: I (too) was getting a bit frustrated. I had been using the 911 RSR, which does certain things well. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to brake well or slide well. With the new tire model, it's even worse. Have you tried another car? The M8 doesn't turn very well, but it feels more like a real car. You can catch a loose setup, and braking is much better.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:05 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

I don't mind the car differences, its the tire model that I don't like, its simply not realistic, and weather has a massive affect.
Of course weather has a large affect in real life, but its not anywhere near as dramatic as in iracing.
No modern slick drives like this, like ice in certain situations, and with essentially zero ability to push the tire, if it locks you simply have no hope, its just not correct.

It sucks as iracing by far has the most polished online racing, the other sims are not even close.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:11 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

It was a battle of attrition haha. Matt created the gaps and I just followed him through. The last few laps I was watching him and Paul battle in front of me and was just hoping for a break. They got together and it gave me my opportunity. All about consistancy for me, i don't have the overall pace but I was able to stay clean and it all worked out.

I've been back and forth on the BMW and the Porsche. I spent a bit of time on the weekend trying to like the BMW but it was just painful through the middle of the turns. Porsche is excellent in the turns so long as you don't over dive the entries. And the first lap can be interesting on cold rubber. I'm not polished enough to get the most out of the tire anyway so it sliding a bit doesn't affect me as much as guys who are really on it and expecting better grip.

I'll try to come up with a list of 10-12 tracks tonight and post them up here. I'd like to hit up some places we haven't been to yet. I have a lot of content though so we'll have to balance it with what the majority own as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:29 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

These are a selection of free road tracks that everyone will have.

Charlotte Roval - 2018
Lime Rock Park
Okayama
Summit Point
Tsukuba
Phoenix Road Course
Silverstone Legacy
Texas Motor Speedway road course
Pocono International Course

These are some tracks we have not used very often for our series

Barcelona
Imola
Barber
Brands Hatch
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
Zolder
Circuit of the Americas
LeMans
Detroit
Donnington
Indy
Oran Park
Oulton Park
Phillip Island
Snetterton
Sonoma
Motegi

Our last series was 16 weeks. I suggest we do an 10 week series running from April 28th-June 30th. This will hopefully coincide with lockdown restrictions being lifted. If not then we can just start another series lol.

I'd say we pick 6-7 from the free list, and 3-4 from the paid list.

For cars, the GTE format seems to be working really good. I'm not sure what else to suggest. If we were to do one off nights I wouldn't mind running whatever, but for a series I think the GTE cars work best so far.

My Picks

Lime Rock
Okayama
Summit Point
Texas
Silverstone
Charlotte
Barcelona
Cota
Sonoma
Snetterton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:11 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Wow Steve. That was a lot more detail than I was expecting. Nice to have the tracks sorted out that way.

While we could certainly do a full series like that I was picturing something a little less structured and a little more variety. For example pick a car and a couple tracks and run those for 2 weeks. Then pick another car and a couple more tracks once were finished with those. Keep doing that until we're allowed out again. So say the CTSV at Charlotte Roval and Sonoma for the first 2 weeks then maybe Skippys at Tsukuba and Summit point, then F3 at LRP and one of the shorter silverstone layouts (International), TCRS at 2, etc. I like your track picks and would throw in some of the less used layouts like VIR grand east or north, Suzuka West, Daytona Moto, etc.

But I'll go with whatever the group wants to do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:16 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Speaking of the group, what is the history of the Regulars group, and how many original guys are still active in it. I know there are a ton of members on the list, but it seems like we get a handful of people I don't know personally (originals) and then there is the arms bunch we have out lately. I certainly wouldn't want to step on toes of originals with any suggestions. I'm thinking that in the coming weeks/months we will probably have a few more arms people coming out, and regulars seems like as good a place as any to have the races hosted. We should also try to have a consensus location for news on the series. This forum is only watched by a few people. Maybe on Discord?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:59 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Yeah, maybe a good idea to take the discussion to discord (RegularsLeague channel for those that didn't know)

No worries Steve, nice to have someone put some thought into it. If the group consensus is for another GTE series I'm good with that. And if someone want to do series outside of the Regulars that's good as well. I'm not to fussed about who runs it or how it's setup.

BTW, there is already and ARMS league set up in iRacing: https://members.iracing.com/membersite/ ... league=410
Scott McIntyre is listed as the owner with Reg LeBlanc and Ryan Quinn as admins. Could possibly do it through that if can get the keys from Scott.

You could also just host races each week without going through a league, and invite people to the races if you aren't planning to keep track of points. Can likely announce the events through discord if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:24 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I'm sure I can poke Scott so we can do something about the ARMS league on iRacing and get it in the hands of whomever would want to use it!

I will ping him and see what we can set up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:14 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Matt with the wins last night. Given the number of times his name has been mentioned in these posts it should be no surprise that Matt is also the season champion.

Thanks to everyone that joined in this season. Stay tuned, we're lining up races for next week.

Attachment:
Event ResultInterlagos1.pdf [103.4 KiB]
Downloaded 184 times

Attachment:
Event ResultInterlagos2.pdf [109.84 KiB]
Downloaded 172 times

Attachment:
2020WinterGTEStandings.png
2020WinterGTEStandings.png [ 33.53 KiB | Viewed 10366 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:22 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Congratulations Matt, Paul and Art. Thanks to Ken for organizing and Justin for setting up practice events. Good season. Fantastic activity to do during these pandemic times. It’s nice to still be able to race with your friends.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:03 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

No problem Jay. Art has a hand in the organizing and should have mentioned Justin setting up the practice sessions (thanks Justin).

How about to start off next season we do:
Apr 28 Caddy (CTSV) @ Charlotte 2018 Roval
May 5 Caddy @ Summit Point
May 12 Caddy @ Mosport

Can do them as fixed setup. Steve has already volunteered to find setups for each event. Will be setting the server to use the baseline setup and race time on the server will be "morning".

Last edited by Ken MacKay on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:06 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Oh man, I haven't seen the Caddy in ages. This would be fun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:29 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

We need more racers! it would be nice to have a consistent field of 12-14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:02 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

It sounds like we might have Leigh Pettipas and Joel Nelson join us. With the lack of regional racing, and the rise in popularity of eSports racing, I'm surprised we don't have more joining us. Perhaps they are not aware of our iRacing league.

I wonder if we should make an announcement in the 'Announcements' forum, suggesting that we are looking for bored racers who can't participate in ARMS regional racing events. It would be good to reach road racers, slalom racers, rally racers and kart racers...and volunteers...all ARMS members.

If only we had a superstar eSports commentator that could make such an announcement...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next