ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:39 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

..because I've been working on a little project (see below). Just in the final stages of converting it from a GT Legends version found on the NoGrip site. Still fiddling with a few minor things (AI, pace car, getting the grass to look somewhat right, etc), but it's useable so if anyone wants to try it let me know and you can do some beta testing. Hope to have it ready by the time real racing wraps up for the season.

Edit: Jan 3 2014 rfactor release available at http://www.mediafire.com/download/luslh4i9o79v6fg/AtlanticMotorsportPark_Jan3_2014_release.zip
This version has the elevations and layout corrected according to a 2009 survey drawing of the track. Note this track is for the original rfactor (will NOT work with rfactor2 ).

Edit Jan 2, 2017: AMP version 0.03 for rf2 can be found at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6P2K- ... lNrOHNzU0E

Edit Jan 5, 2017: AMP version 0.04 for rf2 with "real road" can be found at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6P2K- ... FVEMnB3MTg

Just put the AMP.rfcmp file into your packages folder (for me this was
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Packages )
In the RFlauncher click on the content icon (open box) and in the list there should be AMP (hit refresh if don't see it at first).
Select AMP in the content list and click on the install button.

In single player mode with the "all tracks/all cars" selected, you should see Atlantic Motorsport Park as an option with a single layout. There should also be an AMP folder in the locations directory (eg: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\AMP_V04)

V0.03 is a a straight conversion of the rf 2014 version above. v0.04 includes the dynamic track surface provided by the "real road" feature of rf2..

Last edited by Ken MacKay on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:30 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director
ARMS Performance Solo Director

Looks great Ken! Pretty good detail, but, not to sound picky, 1.6 Mile =2.6km :wink:

Now, how do I get this game?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:15 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

See, the beta testing is working already. :D

rfactor has been around for awhile but can probably still get it online: http://www.rfactor.net/
Lots of cars (and tracks) at http://www.rfactorcentral.com/ , even Neons. :wink:

PS I didn't build it, the credit goes to the original builder (he's from Germany but looks like he had help from someone that knows the track well)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:13 am 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Looks great!!

I believe the folks at Atlantic Racing (Formula BMW) already have an rFactor version of AMP they use in their simulator. See page 10 of their racing academy brochure:
http://www.atlanticracingteam.com/uploads/pdf/Atlantic%20Racing%20Academy%20v2.pdf
I wonder if they'd share. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:48 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I still use it. Would love to try that out!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:03 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

If Atlantic Racing will share that would be great. Anyone know the people there?

I'll try to package up what I have in the next day or two and make it available. In the meantime a few screen shots below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:44 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Looks great Ken!

Are the elevation changes accurately portrayed in the sim?

Years ago I made an attempt to create a virtual AMP using Bob's Track Builder and my GPS data, but I found I was spending a lot of time an not making much progress, so I shelved it.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:27 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Yeah, I had the same idea using BTB last winter but it was going to be a big learning curve and a lot of work. This one I just had to figure out how to convert the files.

The elevations and cambers seem reasonable when driving The lap times seem about right (e.g. ~1:20 in a "hot hatch").

But you don't have to take my word for it give it a try for yourself:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xyp6r ... 0_2013.zip

Just unzip to the Gamedata\Locations folders (should have Gamedata\Locations\AtlanticMotorsportPark\AMP when done)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:24 am 
ARMS Vice President
ARMS Vice President

I made a version a while ago, but i couldn't find time to finish it. Long since lost the files, but here is a video i uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9UB4RMjwcs

Was far from perfect, but it wasnt too bad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:54 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Hey! It has the marshal's shelter on the start bridge that George has been asking for since... probably the 80s. :) Now all he needs to do is get rFactor! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:58 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Looks good Nathan. Shame you lost the files. Building a track from scratch looks to be a lot of work. I'm mot a modeler... if you want to improve on the one I've posted above let me know.

I've got the AI sorted out in the paddock and they now find the track without running into the pitwall. And the pace car exits the track more smoothly. Anyone find the AI take an odd line over 5?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:23 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Is there any way to make your file work on the trial copy of rFactor?

Thanks
Stacy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:44 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Don't think there was any way of adding tracks or cars to the trial version of rfactor. Can only add content after activating it IIRC.

Posted a video of the AI taking a CRX around:
http://youtu.be/nysjMSvLCfY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:36 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

WOW. This is so cool Ken. I will see if I can get the rFactor software onto my computer and give it a try. I'll Beta Test for you anytime. I have a Logitech G7 wheel, shifter and pedals, and Logitech G930 wireless headset. I love iRacing and do a little bit of Dirt3 racing on Steam.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:27 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Wow! That is not bad at all! A CRX should be flat out over 7 though. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:38 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Makes me want to try a new line through Turn 5 now... :roll:

Stacy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:36 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Gordon S. wrote:
Wow! That is not bad at all! A CRX should be flat out over 7 though. :)

You mean corner 5? Not too many cars are flat through 7.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:28 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Got a few things tidied up.
-grass textures should appear now as in original GT Legends track
-start lights, pit in and pit out lights (should) work properly now
-reduced starting light stands to just the one set by the start line
-removed shadows from some objects that didn't form correctly
-changed resistance of track and grass surfaces
-increased roughness (bumpiness) of rumble strips and grass surfaces
-AI behaviour improved but still could use work

Hope to have another release soon. In meantime if there are any suggestions for improvement please let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:32 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Wow!

My previous occupation was a draftsman drawing 3D drawings of big boats. I am surprised my fingers and thumb aren't stuck in a permanent x/y/z position... So I can't imagine the work involved to create this!

One of the things that I did notice is that turn 2 looks wrong when heading down hill from One but once the car goes into the turn it seems to behave correctly ...is this possible? Oh, and the trees need to be taller and denser on the drivers left between Nine and Ten, but spot on with the thinned out trees at 7 since the hurricane, good job!

I guess I'm going to have to buy this sim and actually try it out myself because what you have done looks very, very impressive. Where can I buy a billboard :roll:

Oh, and I could take T7 at WOT in my 1st gen CRX in ITB trim in the early nineties (before I put the sidedraft carbs on...)

Stacy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:01 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I see what you mean Stacy. The downhill sections seem too visually "flat", but the uphill sections are closer to reality. Except maybe T7. It doesn't seem as steep as real life.

I don't think Ken can do anything about that though. Likely can only tweak track-side objects & such.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:33 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, not sure if I'll be able to change the track surface much (kudos to the people that generated the track model). Maybe for the release after next. As Scott mentioned trackside objects, like adding in trees and billboards shouldn't be much trouble. I'm hoping to be able to add a few key bumps at some point, like the ones in the braking area for T1 and the bumpy section between T2 and T3, but that's a release or two away.

Can likely extract the elevation data from around the track though to compare to GPS data if someone can provide it. In the meantime did a few quick measurements. If start with the start/finsh line at 0 m
- drop 5.5 m to start of tirewall on left approahing T1
- drop another 2 m to end of tire wall
- drop another 3 m to rumble strips on right
- drop another 6 m to start of skidmarks before 2

So about an 11 m drop from the end of the tire wall in T1 to the bottom of T2. The climb from there to T3 is about 9 m. Elevations can be a bit deceiving when sitting at a computer. I know Watkins Glen and Mosport the elevations appear a lot bigger in real life that driving around on iRacings laser scanned versions which are supposed to be accurate to within a mm or so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:20 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

I should have some GPS data somewhere which I can send to you. It was recorded at 10Hz so it's better than data from a smartphone, but still not pinpoint accurate.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

I think ARMS/AMP should put some money towards the development of this, seriously... That way we can reach a whole other group of people and show them that AMP is not just Atlanta Motorsports Park :?

It would be interesting to see what your data shows Scott. Shown here at T1 it is bang on:

But going down the hill one second (on both counters) it seems too start rising to quick:

...oh, and I vote to put the big 'ol tree back in from years ago on drivers left at T8 as it probably doesn't hurt as much virtually :roll:
(I'm sure somebody can pull out a picture out of the VIR like tree that scared the crap out of me 8O when spinning uncontrollably by it)

Stacy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:51 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

See what you are saying, but you look a little further back in the real video. Though could just be the field of view angles. Curious to see how the GPS data compares.

Stacy Chapman wrote:
I think ARMS/AMP should put some money towards the development of this, seriously... That way we can reach a whole other group of people and show them that AMP is not just Atlanta Motorsports Park :?

And here I was wondering if they'd be willing to put a link to it on the AMP website. :wink: At least until something better comes along (i.e. for example if someone that knew what they were doing were paid to make a virtual version. Anyone have a laser scanner? :D ). But agree it would be a good way to get people to realize what a great track we have here.

Speaking of which, the paddock billboard has the logos for the TRAC series, Superbikes, and ARMS on it. Is there anything else that should be on it? Spec Miata series for example? Some of the ARMS clubs? If there are sponsors of the real track it would be easy enough to add their logos to the virtual one. Also does anyone have a good shot of the billboard across that track from the pit straight? Also can remove some of the billboards/sponsors that are shown now.

PS There was a VIR like tree? Would love to see what that looked like.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:11 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Been in contact with the original track builder and he has had similar comments about T2 and T7 not being quite right, along with T4 as well. So Scott if you, or anyone else, have good quality gps or other elevation data for the track surface we can likely get the elevations to match better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:34 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Ken, I emailed you a csv file Sunday evening. Should be in your eastlink account.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:45 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Thanks Scott, got it, but unfortunately it doesn't have any elevation data. I looked at some of the data collected from my phone during lapping days, but the elevation data seems to only be accurate to within a few meters at best. If anyone has GPS data they'd like to share let me know. If you are headed to the track and have a GPS that will log elevation feel free to collect some data. In the meantime I'll go plant more trees around T9-T10. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:21 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Can get elevations by plugging in lat and long values into gogle maps (see https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... elevation/ ) but unfortunately the grid is quite crude (points are about 100 ft apart). The google map data and my phone gps data does indicate that T2 and T4 should be lower (ie the run into them should be steeper). Going to put a request for GPS data in the wanted section.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:12 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Got some survey data (Thanks!!!). The coordindates and elevations of the tracks edges have been mapped into the model space. The good news is that the layout is fairly good (green is the rfactor track, purple is the surface generated from the survey data:

It's off a little, most noticably in T9. However the bad news is the elevations:

As mentioned above the run into T2 should be steeper, T4 through T6 should be lower, and should be more of a climb through T7 (good eyes guys!). Good news is that have some good data so this can be fixed. Bad news is that it'll take some time to make these changes as the trackside surfaces and objects will have to be moved to join the corrected track surface. So expect a Version 1 with the uncorrected surface in the next week or so. Version 2 with the corrected surface will be a winter project. Thanks to everyone that provided info and feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:00 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

And thank you Ken to taking the time to do this! I know first hand how much time a project like this can consume.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR