The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

ARMS iRacing League: Week 05 - Cadillac Cup @ Mosport

League Members Top 5 (official lap times)
1. Brian Weatherbee 1:18.730
2. Paul Machan 1:19.157
3. Scott McIntyre 1:19.198
4. Erik Dalla Riva 1:20.204
5. Stacy Chapman 1:21.321

World Records
Prac: Dylan Sharman 1:16.802
Qual: Dylan Sharman 1:16.588
Race: Dylan Sharman 1:17.728

Track Guide (by Dylan Sharman)

Turn 1 - Coming into turn one you want to position the car to the left so and keep it in fourth gear, try and get as hit the curbing on the inside if possible and keep the momentum up

Turn 2 - When coming through turn 2 you really want to try and keep a tight line through the corner as its a long fast following corner, very easy to run wide on the exit and touch the grass, also very easy to run wide onto the grass and into the wall, so you want to get the car turned in early and try and hold it also its a fourth gear corner.

Turn 3 - For turn 3 its the same as turn 2, very easy to run wide on the exit so make the apex and get the car turned, its a third gear corner.

Turn 4 - depending on how you feel its really a slight lift reving out in fourth gear.

Turn 5 - can be taken alot of different ways, in the video i take a wider entry to try and keep the momentum up for moss, back down into 2nd gear and try not to run wide onto the dirt as you will 9/10 spin if not go straight into the wall.

Turn 6 - again its just a continuation of turn 5 so basically a double right hander, you want to try and take it as one, so keep the flow up so you can maximize your run down the long back straight. Big Note - Do not hit the curbing otherwise you will loose a ton of speed off the corner!

Turn 7 - flat out.

Turn 8 - fourth gear corner, try and keep the flow through the corner with momentum.

Turn 9 - try not to over run this corner, its a third gear corner, really easy to over shoot it but then you will loose your speed through the next corner and down the main straight.

Turn 10 - need a really good run through and off here so you can either defend your possible or try and gain. watch out for someone trying to make a dive at you though as you hang out wide on entry leaving a gap people think they can go for so really easy area for contact its also a third gear corner.

and thats a lap of Mosport.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:08 am 
Well another fun run. A little cleaner starts this time, but I think the driver of the #68 car needs to do a few driver schools, a lap down and he wrecks the leader. On a straight no less. Must be a rookie. Or desperate to stay in the points hunt. With that and an off at turn 2 put an end to any chance for me to finish well. Thats racing. Contrats to Ken who drove a very clean and smart race. And to Stacy for his first podium. And to Brian for his well earned second place. Second race went much better, but almost blew it near the end ,spun at Mos corner, but no damage and got going quick. Starting to like the Caddy now.
Next week off to Lime Rock Park. I have over 10000 laps around here ,most all in the roadster but I have run the Caddy there a little and it can be a hand full. You need lots of patience here as you can not get on the gas early or hard anywhere. A lot of just letting it roll, almost all the way through turn 1 ,2 and 3. Wait for it to get straight and squeeze it off. Have to be very careful going over the hill , have to lift there when you crest and have the car and wheel dead straight or you will crash. The last corner can be trouble too , again not too agressive , turn in early and try to just scrub the curb and squeeze off. So the trick here will be to stay out of the pits. My best lap here is a 49.708 , and I think mid or low 49's is all there is here. Hope to see everyone next week.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:03 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Thanks Brian, I was just trying to keep it on the track, didn't want to get called into the pits. :) Have to thank the #68 car as you were looking set for the win until that incident. Also have to thank the team for painting the car yellow and black, was a constant reminder that I was driving a bus. :lol:

Stacy was looking good for second place using the same strategy but then Brian G got around him. Two podiums for the guys starting at the back of the grid is a good deal though.

I'm going to miss the next 2 weeks. Too bad because sounds like the same tactics would work well at LRP.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:30 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Put a few clips together from Race 1 the other night. Nothing fancy (there are no transitions between scenes or commentary) but catches the highlights. Would've focussed more on the racing than the incidents but there were only a few passes where all parties stayed on the track. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:39 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Thanks for putting together the video, Ken. It's great!

Also, congrats to Ken & Weatherbee for your wins! Image

Image Image
              Click to enlarge

After deductions were applied for incidents, here's what the series Points Standings look like:

Weatherbee's win put him back in the championship lead with Paul dropping to second. From 3rd down positions have remained the same until we get to 7th where Ryan's absence allowed Stacy to bump up a spot.

Next week's race at Lime Rock Park will mark the midpoint of our championship series. So far we've had 5 different race winners in 5 weeks. Will we have a 6th winner for week 6... :?:

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:03 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Here's my race report...

If nothing else I was was consistent! Qualified 3rd and finished 5th for both races.

At the start of R1 Brian & I had a nearly identical incident to Sonoma. He got up on the inside of me at T2 and we rubbed paint. It was only a 0x contact, but it was just enough to unsettle Brain's car and he spun. Then I went off the very next corner.

After a tow, I got a black flag for speeding coming out of the pits. So back pit lane again the following lap. This time I remembered the pit speed limiter but forgot to turn off fuel & tires. So by the time I left I had enough fuel onboard to last the whole series. ;)

Then I proceeded to go off track on T2, at least five different times, but kept it out of the wall and managed to vulture a couple spots from Paul & Ed, finishing 5th.

R2 started out well. Found myself up into 2nd by lap 3, but went off on lap 7 and threw it away. Came out of the pits in 5th and finished out the race lapping by myself.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:41 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Here's my first attempt at using FRAPS. This clip pretty much sums up my experiences with the Caddy (I'm the car in the front).

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR